Head retention question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sublevel007

Reaction score
OK so I brewed my first all grain recipe and it is finally carbed up. However, I have a weird head on it, nothing like normal and it disappears fast. I did mash for about 30 min too long so I'm wondering if that is the problem. The beer tastes freaked fantastic and smells amazing. Any ideas anyone?

OK so I brewed my first all grain recipe and it is finally carbed up. However, I have a weird head on it, nothing like normal and it disappears fast. I did mash for about 30 min too long so I'm wondering if that is the problem. The beer tastes freaked fantastic and smells amazing. Any ideas anyone?

The first thing I'd check is the glassware. Often, that is the cause of poor head retention. I'd suggest a salt water scrub on the glass before the next pour. All I do is moisten the inside of the glass a bit, sprinkle salt from the salt shaker in it, then use my hand to scour the glass inside and over the rim. Rinse well, and then pour a beer in the still-warm glass.

If the head is still weird and disappears fast, then consider that maybe the ingredients or the process is at fault. For example, a step mash with a long protein rest can cause poor head and retention issues. Or some ingredients, like crystal malt, are lacking.

Thx everyone, carbing 6 weeks now. It's It's a double IPA so I want to drink young to get the most out of the dry hops. I had crystal malt in the recipe based on my research from beer smith when I was creating it. I catbed by using the Brewers best carb drops (first time using). So who knows it sure tastes good and smells awsome also get a the job done. But heck who doesn't like some head on their beer

How much did you dry hop it? I wonder if it's possible to dry hop so much that the oils in the hops kill the head retention.

Any other adjuncts that you added?

How much did you dry hop it? I wonder if it's possible to dry hop so much that the oils in the hops kill the head retention.

Any other adjuncts that you added?

No, in general hoppy beers have crazy good head retention and don't even need things like carapils or wheat malt or flaked barley to help out.

I wonder if you're using bar-clean glassware if it's those carb drops?

This is just my two cents, but from the original description, it sounds over-carbed. I know that I've been there...Pour a great beer and starts off with lots of head, and deflates as fast as it rose.

I've done it with my kegs, and once or twice in bottles.

I've never had head retention issues related to glassware or cleaning products.

This is just my two cents, but from the original description, it sounds over-carbed. I know that I've been there...Pour a great beer and starts off with lots of head, and deflates as fast as it rose.

I've done it with my kegs, and once or twice in bottles.

I've never had head retention issues related to glassware or cleaning products.

Whether or not you've had issues, soap and cleaner residues can deflate head significantly. So it is certainly worth considering. It is certainly possible it could be a carbing issue as well.

I didn't say it wasn't worth considering. I was just giving my experience.

I have had the problem described, but not for the reasons given. Thus I explained what my experiences were...

I didn't say it wasn't worth considering. I was just giving my experience.

I have had the problem described, but not for the reasons given. Thus I explained what my experiences were...

Yeah, but your "experiences" don't coincide with Yooper's suggestion so you're "advice" is poo poo!!

Just kidding :p (but I DO think some folks think that way ;)).

BTW, OP, what do you mean by "weird head". Like it's huge and falls quickly, or like the foam bubbles are big for head, or something else? Got a picture you can share? Maybe a quick shot of the weird head, and then another when it's fallen completely and how much time has passed.

No other adjuncts, dry hopped 2oz Citra pellets. The bubbles are big and foamy/soapy looking. I will try to get some pics tonight when I pour another as I could use a few after work today

No, in general hoppy beers have crazy good head retention and don't even need things like carapils or wheat malt or flaked barley to help out.

I wonder if you're using bar-clean glassware if it's those carb drops?

+1 to this. Highly hopped beers should have great head retention. I also second the crystal malt / carapils / wheat comments. If used, they should help with head and retention.

Big-bubble soapy looking head I would generally attribute to undercarbed beer (or just barely reaching proper carb level if in a keg), but after 6 weeks in a bottle I would expect more head especially with the amount of hops you used.

The glass is a potential that's easy to remove from the equation. I actually wash my glasses either in the dishwasher or by hand with dish soap, and I don't suffer from head retention problems.

I've never used carb drops so I can't comment directly to their relation to head retention, but they are worth researching more fully to determine if they are a potential culprit.

As far as the extra 30 minutes of mashing, while there is some subtle protein degradation processes still taking place at saccrification temperatures, I would not expect 30 additional minutes to cause you this kind of trouble. Afterall, some folks will mash overnight (8+ hours), and don't experience a totally lackluster head like you've mentioned.

In regards to head retention from bottle conditioned beers, I've always found them to be superior to keg carbed beers. For whatever reason (call it "natural" processes), bottle conditioned beers usually produce wonderfully full and billowy heads - sometimes in excess - that can last decently long. If I were you, and I'm not, I would try using the standard priming sugar method of carbing your next batch (i.e. corn sugar instead of carb drops) just to see if there's much difference.

All great info guys. Yeah these carb drops act weird as I literally was get no carb out of them 14 days ago and then 8 days ago but now the carb seems great to possibly over carbed taste/feel. Who knows a few going in the fridge now to take to the face once my wife gets home and she takes the rug rat off my hands :)

OK so I just poured another one to time and I'm about 1 min 15 seconds in a freshly cleaned glass. Cant figure out how to attach the video on here. Based on this one I'm thinking it is under carbed but who know it was my first all grain batch so I could of screwed something up

How do you perceive the carbonation? Does it seem similar to other craft beers you would buy?

I don't think you can attach videos on here. Usually videos are simply linked-to from youtube; so you could upload to youtube and link to your video in a reply here and it would look like you attached it here :D

A commonly overlooked cause is fermentation temp and yeast pitching rate.

http://byo.com/stories/article/indices/35-head-retention/697-getting-good-beer-foam-techniques

Back