Head retention frustration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zzz-cd101

Reaction score
I mash at 148f for an hour, verlauf for approximately 15 minutes, sparge at 170f, boil for an hour, and still don't manage to maintain any head. I'm trying some commercial glass washer, but am stumped when it comes to head retention. Any thoughts?

How hard are you boiling? The current wisdom is that boiling too vigorously can negatively effect heading compounds in the wort.

Wow I didn't know this . I thought it had to do with grain bill . Good info!
head retention is all about protein, if you get rid of it before it makes it into the fermenter, you can't get it back.

The protein chains responsible for head retention are only able to be used once, so if you're agitating like crazy trying to aerate, you might loose a bit in the finished beer as well.

you can always add a half pound or so of carapils, oats, or flaked wheat to help with more head and/or lacing.

obviously oils will kill the head once poured, so be careful to eliminate it from your kegs, lines, taps, glassware, bottles, etc.

even the oils from your bare hands (especially if you touch your greasy nose often!) when cleaning and handling your glassware can kill your head retention.

I mash at 148f for an hour, verlauf for approximately 15 minutes, sparge at 170f, boil for an hour, and still don't manage to maintain any head. I'm trying some commercial glass washer, but am stumped when it comes to head retention. Any thoughts?

Nothing that weird in your process as reported that would mess up head retention. Not sure where the glass washer comes in, but any soap or detergent residue will likely affect head retention.

Grain bill, water chemistry, lots of variables not provided.

If whatever you are brewing tends not to have head retention but all else is good, 5-10% wheat malt can help w that.

20-30 minute at 162 after your 148 step

More hops

Keeping trub out of the FV

Getting the beer off the yeast sooner than later

More carb

Chit malt is the most foam positive malt I’ve found. More than any wheat, Carafoam, etc.

Back