Head overkill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GatoRailBrewery

Reaction score
So I have a coffee malt stout that came out pretty tasty but now that I'm in the drinking stage of the brew (finally, took 5 mnths to even out) it has an enormous head that no matter how cold / careful you pour it, it takes 30 min to pour a 22 oz beer. Primed 5 gallons with the pre-perscibed priming sugar. It was my first all grain, does an all grain beer prime better?

image-2365219607.jpg

Super head

Either your measurement of the amount of beer is off so you added too much sugar for priming or you beer wasn't done fermenting when you bottled. I'd suspect the latter.

Could you have mashed high? Would result in a lot of proteins, that then cling to the CO2. And stick around for a while.

That beer is over carbed. You shouldn't use the standard 5 ounces of sugar for a stout, it should be much more gently carbonated. It also looks like maybe the beer hasn't been bottled very long.

Possible bottle infection? Out may not taste off but it is rating throug the sugars like some bugs I've seen. or above posts are correct. If you have a nice bottle opener try chilling some, crack one and re cap it right away. With all that co2 I wouldn't worry about oxidation

You can pry up the cap very gently, and it will release pressure without breaking the seal. Degas it, give it a day, degas again.

I made a batch that was just like this a while back. I used the priming sugar that came with the kit and it was way over carbed. I did what tgmartin suggested and eventually i got it to where it should have been.

Either your measurement of the amount of beer is off so you added too much sugar for priming or you beer wasn't done fermenting when you bottled. I'd suspect the latter.

Really? I suspect the former. It's pretty hard to predict your water volumes when doing AG w/ a full boil for the first time, it usually takes a few iterations before you get a feel for the trub loss, boiloff rate, etc.

OP, how long was the bottle in the fridge? Are you sure you had 5 gallons in the fermentor?

Well been bottled for 3 mths. I'm suspecting the boil off, trub, water volume issue. Love a full boil :) the beer ends up sooo much clearer and cleaner tasting, but I think that's where my recipe conversion water/AG issue came in. Damn tasty beer but next time I think a lil less primer will put me on the right track.

Latest posts

Back