Head collapses quickly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizard99

Reaction score
I'm a newbie and just popped the top on my first bottle of my first batch. It pours with a nice head which goes away very quickly. Beer tates fine for 3 weeks. What makes a head last or not? Thanks.

Protein. It's all about protein. A lot of us add a little wheat, carapils, or crystal grain to the recipe to add a bit of protein and get better head retention.

Residue in your glass, the presence of some sanitizing agents, and some bacterial infections can negatively impact head retention.

I'm pretty new as well but I can tell you some things people are going to ask/suggest. First of all what was your recipe? Things like crystal malt, carapils, wheat, and a lot of hops effect head retention in a good way. Also, how big was the batch and how much priming sugar did you use? How long has it been in the bottle?

If it tastes fine just enjoy and take these other things into consideration next time.

A kit beer just straight from the can. New Zealand Bitter by Black Rock. It's been in the bottle 3 weeks. Batch was 23 L. I'm actually amazed at how good it is. And I have gotten some ideas to improve the next one which I am starting next week.

Make sure your serving glasses are 'beer clean' as well. Wash them by hand and rinse thoroughly. If you clean them in the dishwasher and use an additive like jet dry you can be pretty much assured of no head on your beer.

I usually only rinse out my beer mug with water when done for the evening (unless my wife gets ahold of it). That way, I don't have to worry about the 'soap ring' for quite awhile.

Latest posts

Back