HCO3 Water report wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GertSels

Reaction score
I'm just getting started with a little water chemistry and I found the water report for my tap water here in Belgium, filled in all the values in Brewfather but there was still one value missing in the report, HCO3 (also no mention of CaCO3). After contacting the water company by mail, they said their water has an average of 247 milimol/ liter HCO3.

I calculated the amount in PPM (=mg/L) using the Molar Mass of HCO3: 0.247M x 61.0168 = 15.071 g/L = 15071 mg/L This can't be right so is there something wrong with my calculations or did the water company make a mistake? Maybe it should be 247 mg/L instead of mmol? It takes a lot of time for them to respond so I want to rule out any possible errors on my part before contacting them again.

They must have gotten their units wrong. You couldn't drink water with such a high mineral content (not regularly at least) much less brew with it.

List the mg/L (or ppm) values for Ca++, Mg++, Na+, Cl-, and SO4-- and I will calculate the Alkalinity and Bicarbonate values via Cation/Anion balance.

I just got an answer from the water company and it was a mistake. It should be 247 mg/L instead of mmol/L. My values in Brewfather:

Schermafbeelding 2020-12-30 om 12.20.34.png

Nice! My method would have derived Alkalinity at 189.7 ppm, and Bicarbonate at 231.4 ppm. Go with your Water Authority's values.

Back