Hazelnut Extract in Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Genesix

Reaction score
Hi guys, new and sorry for my bad english, my native language is french.

So just a quick question for you guys im making a 5.5 gallon batch of a nutty brown ale from the homebrewassociation app, they ask to add 6 drops per bottle of 355ml of hazelnut extract, and i only have like 1oz ...do you guys think its enough to feel the flavor when im ready to crack a cold one?

extract ill be using: Extrait de Noisette 30 ml Bitarome

Thanks

I googled this and got several answers: 591 drops per oz., 456 drops per oz., and 1000 to 1200 drops per ounce. If you actually produce 5.5 US gallons you'll get about 58 12 oz. bottles, though I find a 5.5 gal. target odd. That's less than 350 drops, so you apparently have enough.

Last edited:
I googled this and got several answers: 591 drops per oz., 456 drops per oz., and 1000 to 1200 drops per ounce. If you actually produce 5.5 US gallons you'll get about 58 12 oz. bottles, though I find a 5.5 gal. target odd. Thats less than 350 drops, so you apparently have enough.
Alright thanks a lot , never used extract in a recipe before

I’m not able to give advice on the extract, but if you feel there’s not enough you can add extract to half or a portion of the bottles. Then you have two separate beers. Brown hazelnut and brown sans hazelnut.

I'd find that adding drops of extract to each bottle was tiresome and would more than likely put the entire bottle of extract into the bottling bucket along with the priming sugar and let it mix as the wort was transferred to the bucket. If I didn't like the flavor that developed I would adjust the amount of extract in the next batch.

I googled this and got several answers: 591 drops per oz., 456 drops per oz., and 1000 to 1200 drops per ounce. If you actually produce 5.5 US gallons you'll get about 58 12 oz. bottles, though I find a 5.5 gal. target odd. Thats less than 350 drops, so you apparently have enough.

5.5 gallons to the fermenter yields about 5 gallons to the bottles as you will need to leave trub behind. That gets you 46 to 52 bottles or about 2 cases of beer bottled.

Back