Having carbonation problems with PET Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dand

Reaction score
I need some help from the experts, and anyone who uses the PET bottles for bottling their beer.

As i come by them i am mostly using grolsh bottles now when i bottle my beers, but from time to time i run out and have some of the brown plastic bottles that serve as a backup

What i have been finding though is that if i have a mix of glass/plastic for any one batch of beer anything that comes out of the plastic seems to have very little fizz opening it compared to the glass, pours with almost no head at all, and seems very under carbonated when drinking it.

I know it's not the beer itself or the bottling process as it all comes from the same bucket and the glass bottles seem to be fine.
The only things i can think of that would make such a difference would be that:
A-the plastic caps don't seal well enough and are letting gas escape.
B-the shape of the plastic bottles (short wide neck vs long thin neck) and me bottling is leaving too much headspace, which isn't creating enough pressure to force the gas into the beer.
C-the plastic bottles flex instead of staying rigid, which maybe has the same effect as too much headspace.
D-the plastic is more permeable than the glass and is letting gas excape through the bottle itself.

Cleaning process for the bottle is the same, oxiclean soak if they are really dirty, lots of rinsing, starsan as sanitizer before bottling.
For beer styles i have noticed the same trend through 3 different wheat beers, a cider and a honey blonde, although it's more pronounced in the wheats.
Is it possibly a reaction between the starsan and the plstic of the bottles?
Do i just need to crank the caps on tighter?

If anyone has any insight it would be appreciated.

The caps on those PET bottles have to be really tight to seal properly. Otherwise they leak as pressure builds up. Are you using a bottling wand? Using the wand,fill the bottle to the top & pull up on the wand to close the pin valve. Removing the wand from the bottle leaves the right head space by way of volume displacement.

The caps on those PET bottles have to be really tight to seal properly. Otherwise they leak as pressure builds up. Are you using a bottling wand? Using the wand,fill the bottle to the top & pull up on the wand to close the pin valve. Removing the wand from the bottle leaves the right head space by way of volume displacement.

Yes i have been using a bottling wand and try to get it as close to the top as possible without spilling over. I have been trying to twits the caps on as tight as possible, and they actually seem to bulge a little on the sides from the threads, is it maybe too tight and ruining the seal?

Or the volumes of co2 is too high via priming sugar amount. gotta be sure it's at a stable FG before priming & bottling. Also,the caps are said to be good for 5-6 uses. I don't think it's possible to get them too tight?...

Or the volumes of co2 is too high via priming sugar amount. gotta be sure it's at a stable FG before priming & bottling. Also,the caps are said to be good for 5-6 uses. I don't think it's possible to get them too tight?...

FG is stable, and co2 volumes were fine for the glass bottles that were bottled at the same time, from the same bucket, using the same bottling wand.

Back