Haven't brewed in a couple years...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quixand

Reaction score
My soda kegs have been sitting in the basement for a couple of years, and one was left behind by a roommate with soda in it....in the fridge...that was unplugged. Needless to say, it's a mess. Somehow, bugs infested the fridge. I cleaned them all out...however I have a couple questions.

One is what is best to clean the kegs with? I'm guessing bleach wouldn't be advisable. ( I do intend on sterilizing them with star san before using )

Second is, my beer fridge interior is now orange. The plastic. The door interior is still white, as is the freezer portion. Hard to explain, but I'm guessing it had something to do with the bugs snacking on the left over soda.

What would get that out...or should I just chuck it in a landfill and get a new one?

Fill that puppy up with Oxyclean or PBW and hot water and let it sit for a day. It will be fine.
Plastic portion of fridge is orange? I'm no expert, but I bet that never comes off - it's probably stained thru the plastic. However, that doesn't make it unusable. Just clean it all out good and start over, orange glow inside and all.

You rock Hang Glider. Love your avatar as well, I have all the coffee table books.

So Oxyclean is safe for all beer supplies to clean before star sansing? Standard ratio on the Oxyclean as on the bucket?

So Oxyclean is safe for all beer supplies to clean before star sansing? Standard ratio on the Oxyclean as on the bucket?

Yes
Yes

If the fridge works, wash it down and use it. Unless you plan on spending time inside, who cares about the color?

If there was soda in those soda kegs, I'd suggest replacing all the seals before using them. They can impart old soda flavors that never seem to come out of the gaskets.

If the fridge works, wash it down and use it. Unless you plan on spending time inside, who cares about the color?

Very good point. LOL

And carnevoodoo, also a very good point. Will pickup some new seals at the LHBS.

+1 oxyclean in kegs. If the fridge stays cold I'd keep it. You could try a little bleach water on the orange but I wouldn't expect a lot. But you might feel a little less guilty drilling holes in it for taps!

you could just take out all the plastic and replace it with some plywood. if you want it to look nice inside then finish the plywood with stain or paint or some thing.

or leave the stain since it won't affect the taste of the beer

+1 on replacing the seals and o-rings. They are cheap and might save a batch of beer, plus when you replace them you have to disassemble the kegs which will just make your cleaning that much more thorough. If you can't get the fridge interior white you can buy spray paint designed for plastic. You can make it any color you like that way.

Great ideas in here guys, glad I came back.

Where can I get a security wrench I'll need to get the posts off the kegs?

Latest posts

Back