Have you ever gotten a DUI from your own beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rmb

Reaction score
Have you ever gotten a DUI while being drunk on your very own, homemade beer?

That is the joy of home brew, you can drink it at home. I had a friend tell me he was too drunk to drive, when he drove home from my house. I haven't asked him back because he now put me in the position of "mothering/monitoring his drinking". I thought that was a real jerk thing for him to do on many levels. Why would he tell me that?

That is the joy of home brew, you can drink it at home. I had a friend tell me he was too drunk to drive, when he drove home from my house. I haven't asked him back because he now put me in the position of "mothering/monitoring his drinking". I thought that was a real jerk thing for him to do on many levels. Why would he tell me that?

better he told you than not. you can't always stop the stupidity of others but you can take yourself out of the equation.

One of the best parts of homebrew is the "home" part.

The other best part of homebrew is the "brew" part.

I have gotten pretty silly on my homebrew before, but I was already home. No driving involved. :drunk:

It's home brew. You make it and drink it at home. Where could one have to go after drinking homebrew at home?

If I ever go somewhere where I will be drinking, I ride my bike. Obviously if Im too inebriated then I wouldnt ride either.

Henry22 - Not sure where you are, but in NJ you can gt a DUI and lose your drivers license on a bicycle. It is considered a vehicle and you must obey all the same laws as a motorized vehicle.

Never had a DUI and never plan to, it's pure stupidity.

If friends come over and have too much then they can crash here, same if I go to their houses. Would rather be inconvenienced for a night than lose a friend to prison or death.

Henry22 - Not sure where you are, but in NJ you can gt a DUI and lose your drivers license on a bicycle. It is considered a vehicle and you must obey all the same laws as a motorized vehicle.

I think its the same here but the risk is much less and Im not going to hurt anyone. Like I said, if I dont think I can ride my bike I dont.

I have a friend who got one on a skateboard last year :(

You can get one on a horse too. Which is why I no longer call your mom after I have been drinking. :rockin:

Nightshade said:
I have a friend who got one on a skateboard last year :(

Damn, that sucks. I wish SC didn't consider bikes a vehicle. A lot of states dont. SC is usually on the tail end of anything progressive. A lot of the more progressive states have recently changed it so that there are separate laws for BUI or they don't consider bikes vehicles in order to decrease drunk driving.

Damn, that sucks. I wish SC didn't consider bikes a vehicle. A lot of states dont. SC is usually on the tail end of anything progressive. A lot of the more progressive states have recently changed it so that there are separate laws for BUI or they don't consider bikes vehicles in order to decrease drunk driving.

I know Oregon, Washington and California all consider it a DUI. Pretty sure the only state I have lived in that didn't was Montana but not 100% on that.

The ones that don't wil still call it an OUI or Operating Under Influence which covers a wider range but still a lesser charge.

I was at a party when I lived in North Platte Nebraska and had a couple dozen too many so I left my car and walked the 12 blocks home, almost got a public intoxication ticket when I stumbled over a twig that apparently wasn't there:cross:

I'm getting a DUI right now, quick someone type something to say to the cop? I was thinking of saying "for a small fee I'll sleep with your daughter?" I thought that would go over well because I'm out of state and in the sticks?

I thought it was funny. On a more serious note, when I was at the DMV renewing my drivers licence, they asked if I had any tickets. I said just one in ten years, I was out of state in WI and got tagged for 5 miles per hr over the limit on the interstate. I thought the cop was kidding at first; this is back when if you couldn't pay the ticket in cash or credit, you'd go to jail. He was more angry when I pulled out the cash to pay him. It's a nice state with good people, but I drive around it now if I can. The people at the DMV said they get that story all the time.

...if you couldn't pay the ticket in cash or credit, you'd go to jail.

Not sure if it still is, but it used to be like that in Illinois. My first of 3 tickets in 32 years of driving... Luckily, I was in the Air Force and the cop cut me a break and let me go as long as I agreed to pay the ticket by mail as soon as I got home. I didn't have the cash on hand... I was 18 at the time driving about 30 miles an hour over the limit... eeek... A very good lesson learned. I remember it scaring the bejeebies out of me. Fresh out of basic training... worried about what the first sgt was going to say to me.

But... to answer the question again... drink at home, don't get a DUI. Drink in a bar, you're going to get one sooner or later. The local cops set outside of EVERY bar in this city waiting for people to leave.

"Like mama always said, stupid is as stupid does."

I bought a fuel cell breathalyzer a while ago. I paid about $150 for it, but that's certainly cheaper than a DUI.

I usually don't drive if I've been drinking, but on the rare occasion that I do, it's nice to at least have a reference point.

The accuracy of consumer grade breathalyzers can be debated, even those with higher quality fuel cell sensors (what the police use). But something is better than nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back