Have more been then will fit in keg, what to do?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopHead73

Brewmaster at Jbyrd Brewing, Hophead
Reaction score
My Dale's Pale Ale clone is ready to keg. This will be my first batch that I will keg as I just switched from bottling.
It was also the first batch on my new set up and I had miscalculated some of my volume numbers in Beersmith so I know have 6 gallons to put in a 5 gallon keg.
I'm thinking just taking the extra gallon and bottling it.
If I need 5oz of corn sugar for 5 gallons, 1oz for the 1 gallon would work, no?

Just seeing what others have done in this situation.
All suggestions are welcome.

:mug:Brew for All:mug:

I keep some of those sugar tablets for bottles in my stash for those instances and a good selection of the Grolsch flip top bottles. Gives me a quick response option when the keg is full.

Does not happen very often though...I usually come up short.

Oh - and I use 1 oz of priming sugar per gallon too.

This is the reason i always keep some carb drops on hand... Good in a pinch if you have to bottle a few bombers.

Yes, that would work just fine.

Or, you could get some 2 liter soda bottles, and a "carbonator cap" and carb them up like that.

I've done both, bottled some, and used soda bottles with the carbonator cap for some. The carbonator/2L soda bottle trick is cool, because you can blast with co2 and shake, and drink within an hour while you're waiting for the keg. Then do the same for the second one the next day!

Yes, that would work just fine.

Or, you could get some 2 liter soda bottles, and a "carbonator cap" and carb them up like that.

I've done both, bottled some, and used soda bottles with the carbonator cap for some. The carbonator/2L soda bottle trick is cool, because you can blast with co2 and shake, and drink within an hour while you're waiting for the keg. Then do the same for the second one the next day!

OK - Off to google to find out about a carbonator cap. I learn (spend) so much as a result of this site!! I keep telling my wife that everything has an ROI...I think I may be lying at this point.

[...]you could get some 2 liter soda bottles, and a "carbonator cap" and carb them up like that.[...]

^ This is what I do. Carbonation caps are ridiculously expensive but having one is A Good Thing.

I keg, and try to tune my batch sizes so what ends up in the keg is right up to the gas dip tube. I often end up with an extra quart of beer, so I picked up a carbonation cap a couple of years ago and use it with a 2 liter bottle to put a nice fizz on what would otherwise be a rather large, flat sample.

Cheers!

twalte said:
OK - Off to google to find out about a carbonator cap. I learn (spend) so much as a result of this site!! I keep telling my wife that everything has an ROI...I think I may be lying at this point.

Search this site for DIY instructions. I made a few for maybe $5-$8 total.
I'm pretty sure this was my parts list:

Napa 90 432 tire stem

Air chuck

Lowes watts pb48 1/4 to 1/4 brass union A-80 flare to male pipe half union

1/2 spade bit

Back