Have keg for keggle, what to build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mesa4234

Reaction score
I have been brewing for about 2 years, mostly extract but some BIAB. Currently I have 20 quart kettle, a 32 quart kettle and a cooler that I have converted to a mash tun (though I haven't had the time to use it).

I was recently offered a keg to turn into a keggle, and while I plan on taking it, I have been debating what to use it for. At first, I was thinking of just making a simple boil kettle out of it, but that would involve upgrading my burner (I am using a turkey fryer now), so I began to think of build a electric kettle, possibly to to e-biab.

Are there any disadvantages to going electric?

I went electric last year. A bigger system, but I highly recommend it. No more trips for propane. Repeatability. Control. And, you can use it for Sous Vide when you aren't brewing.

I LOVE my electric. It is cheaper to operate, easier, cleaner, safer. With a big element in there it isn't as good for whirlpooling, but I simply transfer to another vessel for cooling and whirlpooling.

I built my system with conventional home wiring components rather than an DIN enclosure and all the pretty controls. It works well.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Home Brew mobile app

I LOVE my electric. It is cheaper to operate, easier, cleaner, safer. With a big element in there it isn't as good for whirlpooling, but I simply transfer to another vessel for cooling and whirlpooling.

I built my system with conventional home wiring components rather than an DIN enclosure and all the pretty controls. It works well.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Home Brew mobile app

Thanks. How did you set it up using home wiring components?

Same wiring as others except I screwed everything to a piece of plywood. I had a lot of stuff laying around that I wanted to use up (free). It looks ghetto compared to other setups. r would upload some pictures but I am presently reconfiguring it so its all ripped apart.

Back