Haters gonna hate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midmobrewer

Reaction score
I recently had some friends ( strictly bmc and whiskey drinkers) try my latest batch. Now i know not everybody is gonna like my beer but when someone spits out my beer, calls it nasty, and says no beer is better than busch, a man gets a little offended.
What would you do? In hindsight getting mad and knocking his beer from his hand was prolly not the best reaction.

Sent from my SPH-M950 using Home Brew mobile app

LOL...
The first question is (besides what style did you brew) is why did you expect a positive reaction from someone who drinks Busch?
Admittedly, he should have been more.... diplomatic in his reaction, but I don't see too much of a problem with getting a bit irked at him.

All my BMC/liquor friends pretty much know to not even try my home brew. I'll give anyone a taste though if they want and all have had really positive things to say (more positive than I'd even say). So it sounds like you need new friends :)

I tell the BMC drinkers right up front that they probably won't like what I make. If they spit it out after that, I ***** slap them.

Instead of knocking the beer out of his hand, take it from him, piss in it, hand it back and say "here's your Busch"

But really, don't do that :) I can't believe he spit it out though. I have had people say that's not for me and give the beer back to me.

There is a reason why millions of barrels of slightly bitter piss water are produced and sold.

Also, it is difficult for each of us to be objective as to the quality of our own brew.

He overeacted by spitting it out - so fair call knocking his beer out of his hand, tit for tat :D If I was on the receiving end of that I think I would have seen the funny side to your actions!
If he really got his feelings hurt over >$1 of beer (I'm guessing you knocked his Busch???) then a peace offering may be the polite thing to do - be the bigger man... that is if his freindship is worth more than $1 :D

Actually i dont even like the guy. Hes more like a friend of a friend. So i dont really care to apologize to him. I did feel good drinking his beer after my beer was gone.
Another guy didnt like it because it wasnt as clear or colorful as his beer. Even though i tried explaining to him there's not anything wrong.

Sent from my SPH-M950 using Home Brew mobile app

I'm not sure if its a matter of him being a hater or just being closed minded. My friends wife and I had a bit of a rough time getting to know each other. I admit I'm a complex individual who is somewhat difficult to "get." After people get through that stage things are fine, others don't bother trying. Anyways, at a party last night she was having some miller lime something or another. I thought the citrusy hop flavour of one of my homebrew batches may be a good stepping stone. I was somewhat offended that she didn't even bother to try it. If tried and not liked I can understand but "I only like this" and not even giving a chance for something (anything) different? Not cool.

As far as spitting it out is entirely uncalled for. The only time I could see that being ok is if the batch was infected or something. I'd of had some choice words just for being like that.

I don't know, it all seems like a bunch of immature people hanging out. Not everyone is going to like what you brew but the reactions all around are silly. Don't let it bother you so much. Keep brewing and he can bring his own ****ing beer if he doesn't want yours.

His favorite beer is Busch, so why place any value on his opinion on beer? It'd be like a gourmet chef getting offended when someone spits out his signature dish, when that person's favorite food is Pizza Hut.

Yeah, wouldn't it suck if this no taste havin mf'er thought your beer was great?

As for knocking the beer out of his hand, if he wasn't bleeding when he left, he got off easy.

Spitting your beer out was very offensive, and shouldn't have been done. He should have just swallowed it and set it down and just said to you it was terrible. The old me wouldn't have knocked the cup out of his hand but knocked a tooth out of his gums. But that was long ago…

I've never had anyone do such a thing. I usually get a bunch of brown nosing responses. I now begin with how I'd prefer to hear what you didn't like as it may help me make it better next time.

Maybe not the best response, but now you know not to bother i suppose.

Back