Hatch Chile Pale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dformed

Reaction score
one of my next two brews will be a Hatch Chile Pale Ale. I already have a base recipe in mind (wcarter1227's 15-Minute Cascade Pale Ale https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/15-minute-cascade-pale-ale-210253/) and I already have the chiles (roasted and in my freezer from last year's batch). My plan is this: since the 15-minute ale has essentially no bittering (but is otherwise wonderful), "dry-hopping" with the hatches in secondary will add a bitter-like element for a more balanced beer (along with some great Hatch Chile flavor).

I have everything worked out for this beer except one thing:

How much chile should I use?

I've seen threads that suggest anywhere from 1-3 peppers for a 5 gal batch, but that just doesn't seem like very much. I am inclined to try about a 2 cups, but i don't want to add what looks like a reasonable amount only to find that i've created a monster.

The chiles are roasted, de-stemmed/mostly de-seeded, and frozen. when thawed, they do not have much structure, or a terrific amount of heat - just a nice bite and a great flavor. My other option is to wait a few weeks for this years harvest to come in to my store, but that takes more waiting... I want to brew NOW! hahaha...

Thanks for your help!

No idea. I lived in New Mexico for 15 years and enjoyed the Hatch chile. I have no idea how it will perform in your brew. I would separate 1 gallon from your batch and see how it does.

Back