has anyonel used molasses

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoyokid82005

Reaction score
has anyone used molassses in brewing at all like a late malt addition to keep the flavor of it. i know it would have a rum taste to it. im just wondering if anyone has used it. would it hinder the yeast at all. i dont think it would anyway cause its all sugar and sugar byproducts. it would give it a nice different taste to it.
thanks
pat

I did even though I was told not to and should have listened. Perhaps there are other molassas out there (I used Grandma's) that may make a better tasting beer, I don't know. For me it was just one of those things I had to try. I will say they are great to have on hand should I run out of beer and the stores are closed, they still do the trick. To me the first one is the worst, then they are not so bad, I guess my tastebuds adjust.

Molasses has an unusual flavor that doesn't work well with most styles. I do wonder how it would work in a Belgian, but I don't make them.

Back