Has anyone used Pestacator for mice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kappclark

Reaction score
I have had it with the mice crawling in the walls ... happens every year when temps drop..

Asked the guy at the hardware for their best mouse trap...he sold me on an electronic device called a Pestacator..... it sends out a electro-magnetic pulse over the house wiring which "annoys rodents", so they flee the house the very way they entered..thought I would give it a try, and hooked it up...very complicated (not!)..you just plug them into an outlet..

Funny on the front it says "not for use around rodent-type pets" ...fortunately we got rid of the gerbils years ago..

Has anyone here used a pestacator for mice ??

Stay away from pest repellers, whether they're magnetic or sonic. They don't work. They're a gimmick. The reason he sold it to you is because it probably cost more than anything else on the shelf. My advice, buy either a simple snap trap, a poison with a protective bait station, or a glue trap. They are effective and typically fairly inexpensive.

Please don't buy the glue trap. No one wants to find the damn things still alive, plus, the death is so slow it's mean.

Edit: Reviews on Amazon were decent, but I've never used it.

Did it come with complimentary foil hats?

I find it odd that mice would be annoyed by anything. They're up there with roaches in adaptation and being able to thrive anywhere.

We have the same issue in our cabin. Was told by a lady at Wal*Mart to start leaving bars of Irish Spring soap around in the open. On the sink, in the outhouse, we put on in a dish in the loft etc.

They don't seem to be eating it at all but we've not had a mouse in the place in 2 years.

YMMV

Last year I had a mouse problem. I used the snap traps with peanut butter. They worked great. So good that after I put the first one behind the microwave and started setting up the second trap a mouse ran out from inside the stove right on to the trap. I took a week to catch all of them 8 total! I think all the mice in the field behind my house decided to make refuge in my house for the winter. After that I went to Wal-Mart and bought a four pack of those silent noise things and plugged them in through out the house. Haven't had a problem since.

Electric/magnetic gizmos like this don't work: my father-in-law used them before and he still had mice in the walls when the nights started freezing. I'd recommend finding the hole where they enter and obstructing it or else use the usual traps.

A dozen cats or so might do the trick too :D

When I had the problem I almost bought a cat. Even though I'm allergic and hate cats. But having a mice problem is so ANNOYING!

I saved the receipt ..

yesterday plugged 2 of them into outlets coming from opposite legs of the service panel..I have not heard any scratching in the walls ..tonight is down to 23, so we shall see..

The cat will be disappointed if these things actually work...

I got more cats when the last ones disappeared. They are cute and once they are old enough to hunt outside, the mice will be history.

We've got some mice relocating in the house again since the temperature dropped. I had a dream on Saturday night that I found a mouse in the snap trap still alive and I gave it to the cats to play with.

I woke up Sunday morning and lo and behold, there was a mouse caught by the leg. Fuggles would not let the other cat go near her once she got hold of it!

I was going to let the cat keep playing with it until my wife found it, but then common sense kicked in and I tossed it out before she got up.

FYI - The best trap I've used is the "clamshell" style trap that set with a pinch in the back, and unsets with another pinch while holding it upside down. Sooo easy.

Sonic "Plugins" are Snake Oil. Don't work. Try glue boards with peanut butter, Not very humane, but I don't care. It works. Put them where your pets won't get stuck to them.

They do not work, google electronic mouse trap. i think we spent about 20 bucks. it electrocute's the little buggars and flashes a green light when you've got one.

We have the same issue in our cabin. Was told by a lady at Wal*Mart to start leaving bars of Irish Spring soap around in the open. On the sink, in the outhouse, we put on in a dish in the loft etc.

They don't seem to be eating it at all but we've not had a mouse in the place in 2 years.

YMMV

Mice dislike the Irish? Good to know.

Sonic "Plugins" are Snake Oil. Don't work. Try glue boards with peanut butter, Not very humane, but I don't care. It works. Put them where your pets won't get stuck to them.

I've wondered how ling they live on those traps.

I've got a black racer living under my garden shed, and haven't seen a field mouse in years...

not sure where to buy them, though. :D

One tip, don't use peanut butter. Many glue traps are prebaited with an attractant to lure the mice in already. If not, use something like whole peanuts, or something that isn't oil based. The glue in the traps is typically oil based, so if you put peanut butter on it, it can break down the glue and make it less sticky.

Glue traps are nasty. Stopped using them after a mouse was found dead 3 feet from one after chewing his own leg off to escape, not cool. Plus you have to kill them most of the time, which isn't as fun as it sounds.

I decimate mice with simple snap traps baited with cheese, effective and humane.

_

Glue traps are nasty. Stopped using them after a mouse was found dead 3 feet from one after chewing his own leg off to escape, not cool. Plus you have to kill them most of the time, which isn't as fun as it sounds.

I decimate mice with simple snap traps baited with cheese, effective and humane.

_

I've found a live one once on a glue trap, it was unpleasant.

Took both back to the HW store .. the guy claimed he has sold hundreds, so I told him he had 2 more to sell, then I got 8 old-fashioned Victor traps fo a whopping $5.60

I am 4 for 4 so far, and NO scratching in the walls...baited the 5th this morning in a base cabinet...no customers yet.

stick with a winner !

We live on 10th acres in the country and had a big rodent problem. I managed to get most of the sage rats with a pellet gun (and had a ton of fun doing so), but wasn't having much luck with the mice. D-con just makes for rotting rodents in the walls. We finally got a couple of barn cats and the rodents were gone in two weeks. Cutest little 3 month old kittens - they live in the garage and hunt all night. We go out to feed them and will find random tails and feathers scattered about our very satisfied kitties. They're incredible hunters.

ne in two weeks. Cutest little 3 month old kittens - they live in the garage and hunt all night. We go out to feed them and will find random tails and feathers scattered about our very satisfied kitties. They're incredible hunters.

Our cat is so lazy -- I even took it down to where I SAW a mouse go, and itsniffed once, then went back to her spot in front of the wood stove...congrats on your felines

my friend is a housecleaner for a couple who live right on lake washington. they got some sort of sonic rodent repellant for rats and it works for them. (NOT the one that "sends pulses through the wires" but the one that makes an actual noise)

when i worked at ace i sold the pestacators constantly (usually recommended the victors or the bait, but still sold the pestacators to some people) i got good reviews from customers, and never heard about one coming back, but i've never personally used one.

Latest posts

Back