Has anyone tried racking mead onto grains in order to obtain a head?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugeaud

Reaction score
I'm really curious to see if anyone has and the results. :p According to the internet, essentially certain proteins from the family polypeptides coming from grain in combination with CO2 is the cause of a head. If only scientists would isolate these certain grain proteins, to create a "insta-head" product. I guess it isn't on the top of their agenda though. (lol)

I believe torrified wheat is used for head retention. but instead of racking onto grains, they are steeped

Yes, that I'm aware, but I'm wondering is there a simpler way to obtain some amount of head retention (however small?)?

Just out of curiosity, why are you concerned about your mead having a head...only some meads are carbonated anyway, and I can't see that having head foam would affect the taste...

I'm not really concerned. Only curious because I know a lot of beer drinkers out there who rage at the fact that you can only get a head on beer. So if you could get a head on it, and it wouldn't effect the flavour, and make some people happy (And perhaps a bit astonished), why wouldn't you?

I'm not really concerned. Only curious because I know a lot of beer drinkers out there who rage at the fact that you can only get a head on beer. So if you could get a head on it, and it wouldn't effect the flavour, and make some people happy (And perhaps a bit astonished), why wouldn't you?

I think graff is fine with a head, but not mead! Mead is carbonated sometimes, I guess, but I always think of it as a fine sipping drink like a fine wine. It would be very weird to have a glass of wine or mead with a head, especially in a mead that is best left still and not carbonated anyway.

Back