Has anyone heard about Humulus Yuannanensis cultivation out of Yunnan?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucas Malkyur

Reaction score
Hey guys, i`m searching for different kinds of hop and which one is better for me to cultivate in my farm! it`s really hard to find deep information about this. i`m from Brazil and the production of hope here it is still growing. We have almost no national production, maybe 5 companies or less ( i don`t have any information about home production or small producers). What i know and think is the hop that managed to grow here was a variation of Humulus Lupulus. Yunann hop is known to grow on southwest China and it`s a endemic species. I saw an old post here, from 2014 and a guy that was living there asked about any growth out of Yunnan. But no one helped much. There is some peculiarities, i don`t know, that makes this a endemic specie. I only know is the Yunnan is located on the same longitude of my country and have the same ecosystem (tropical forest). Maybe there is a chance that it will work. I`m searching for others of corse, Japonicus, Neomexicanus, etc. Some of them have to work!

If you have the same type of weather as Yunnan then you should give it a try. You should be good. They're pretty resilient and grow like weeds if you provide what they need and if your climate supports that then you're already halfway there.
Have you looked at the growing hops forum here? Lots of good info there.

If you have the same type of weather as Yunnan then you should give it a try. You should be good. They're pretty resilient and grow like weeds if you provide what they need and if your climate supports that then you're already halfway there.
Have you looked at the growing hops forum here? Lots of good info there.
Hey, thank you so much!!! I`m a little worried about the range of sunlight but i will definitely try it. But i`m still learning and searching. I`m new here, didn`t see all the stuffs yet.

Hey, thank you so much!!! I`m a little worried about the range of sunlight but i will definitely try it. But i`m still learning and searching. I`m new here, didn`t see all the stuffs yet.
No problem! The more sun the better, of course. One of mine is a 4th year Chinook plant growing in partial shade and it gives me enough to brew a harvest ale.
Definitely check out the hops growing section. There's a lot of great info about growing in there. Good luck!

Back