Has anyone done the whole roast chicken in primary beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shortyz

Reaction score
topic says it all... i read this in my brew book and i was like WTF.

“Take 10 gallons of ale and a large cock, the older the better; parboil the cock, flay him, and stamp him in a stone mortar until his bones are broken (you must gut him when you flay him). Then, put the cock into two quarts of sack, and put to it five pounds of raisins of the sun – stoned; some blades of mace, and a few cloves. Put all these into a canvas bag, and a little before you find the ale has been working, put the bag and ale together in vessel.” from Charlie Papazian’s “The Complete Joy of Homebrewing,” and originally from “The Closet of the Eminently Learned Sir Kenelme Digby Kt. Opened,” 1677.

this made my night, seriously.

Haven't brewed it, but I've tasted it. Jim Koch brought some to GABF a number of years ago. He called it Old Cock Ale and said he had tried the recipe out for a friend's birthday. It was....interesting. Reminiscent of chicken noodle soup, as I recall. According to Jim, the whole chicken (rooster?) went into the kettle and was boiled. Of course, this was well over 15 years ago. I may not have remembered his technique exactly, but I never forgot the ale.

EDIT: oh crazy, here's a press release issued the year he brought it to GABF

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Samue...ck+Ale'+with+Everything+but+the...-a018744803

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back