Has anyone actually cured toe nail fungus with Star-San?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dermatologist here. Need oral terbinafine (lamisil) for toenail fungus. Not actually hard on liver. Though very rarely, can cause liver probs. Most docs check baseline just to be sure... Topical treatments do nothing for nail fungus.

Pharmacist here. +1 on oral Lamisil. It is generic now and a lot cheaper than it was. VapoRub is used for everything anymore and is the new 'tussin' or windex, however it is only good for one thing: rubbing it on your chest for clods. Although it is also good for rubbing under your nose right before you change a diaper.

vaporub is also good to put right under your nose when you want to run away from someone with some scary **** on their feet

Dr. Papinquack here, I'd slice a clove of garlic and tape it to the affected toe nail. Seriously, my daughter was plagued by a plantars wort a few years back and if you've ever had one of those you know the discomfort they cause. We took her to the Dr. and continued to do the acid scrape as recomended by traditional medicine. Anyway, this method did nothing for her over a period of about 2 months, it just pissed us all off. Knowing the healing properties of garlic, I rubbed the wort with a little olive oil, sliced a clove a little thicker than a penny, then placed the garlic on it and taped it to her foot, put her sock on and sent her to bed. She woke up the next morning and it was totaly gone! No bulls**t.... If you try this just use straight garlic, the olive oil was only used to tenderize the area, you wont need that with a nail. Good luck!:D

I'm going to try the garlic just to see. My liver is taking a beating with all my beer drinking and it doesn't need to process any more toxins, lol.

I've only read the first page so this may be an out-of-date answer, but I doubt it will work -- external anti-fungal treatments tend not to work very well anyway, so I'd recommend it in pill form. Ask your doctor during your next checkup.

I've only read the first page so this may be an out-of-date answer, but I doubt it will work -- external anti-fungal treatments tend not to work very well anyway, so I'd recommend it in pill form. Ask your doctor during your next checkup.

i was actually looking for "what i'm listening too now", but i like zombies, or at least a friend of mine does...so i'd say when i washed dishes and had my hands in sanitizer for 6-8 hours a day, cleared up my worts, planters on my finger, and even one that kept coming back on my elbow...

nailfungusad.jpg

damn it google....i just thought it'd be funny, people like the walking dead!

Fitting zombie thread. I had some serious toenail fungus that I tried to get rid of with topical stuff. What finally got rid of it was trying to high jump in shoes that were three sizes to small after not high jumping since college 6 years ago. A couple weeks later the toenail fell off and now it is growing back without fungus. So that’s my recommendation.

At the risk of taking this zombie thread seriously, while I haven't used star San, I have used iodine. Worked great, if messy.

In order to cure toe nail fungus you have to take medication and sometimes that doesn't even work. Well I have have the fungus and I dont ware flip flops any more because my toe nails look disgusting.

Iv heard that Star-San cures the fungus.

If I have to soak my feet every night in Star-San I will if I know it will cure it. Has anyone tried it or had any luck?
go buy some CHEAP vodka...and a bucket ...pour vodka in bucket, soak your feet. I've read numerous times that it works.

I heard B-Brite makes your p3nis longer. I've been soaking mine in it for 10 minutes 3 times a day for a month now and nothing yet.....................
reminds me of a joke - guy goes to his dr and asks what he can use to make his penis larger. Doc says go to the grocery store and buy a tub of lard, rub it on twice a day for a month and come back and we'll see how it went. Guy comes back a month later ,doc measures it and its smaller...Doc says this can't be I gave you sure fire method that always works ,what did you do wrong...Guy says ,well, I couldnt find lard so I bought Crisco .
Doc says well that explains it, Crisco is SHORTENING !!

Back in about 1995, I had a very bad case of toe nail fungus on my left foot big toe. Entire toenail turned gross and basically fell off. I was hiking a lot at the time and this put a real damper on that. I had Kaiser Permanente, an HMO, and they somehow decided to cover the treatment. I had a real good nurse practitioner back then, she somehow swung it, because I was hearing cost for treatment was about $1500 and I basically paid nothing. Wiped out the fungus completely and 24 years later have never had a relapse or any trace of fungus issues on my nails. I keep checking, though. Anyway, I beat the system that one time and I would recommend the drug I got, Sporanox. It did the job and is probably somewhat cheaper now. Probably can get it on Amazon. I don't remember having any side effects at all from it, but I was a strapping young man in his 30s then. A bit older now.

Can't believe I'm contributing to a TOENAIL FUNGUS thread! ;)
Had a bad case on about 1/2 of the nails on both feet. Wasn't going to pay the +/- $900 for the oral stuff (which says 75% effective and takes about 9 months), so bought a bottle of Tea Tree oil on Amazon for about $9. Every night I applied a dropper full to each toenail. Took that same 9 months, but it did clear them up completely. And I used the $ saved to buy brewing supplies! :mug:

When I was a kid, I had a bad case of toenail fungus. Dad thought the medication was too expensive, so he took me out to the barn and eradicated the fungus right then and there. Hasn't recurred in over 50 years....
hatchet.png

I have successfully treated a mild case of toenail fungus (and on another occasion, really bad athletes foot) using Captan fungicide powder. Just sprinkled it into the toe of my socks for a few days. I don't think it would work if the fungus is advanced very far because Captan is not really absorbed thru the skin (it's also a mild carcinogen so this is probably a good thing)

Back