Has anyone actually brewed a hopless beer? and without bittering of any sort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for sharing, STEVENJAN! I may be brewing a 3/4 hopped, 1/4 hopless (2 separate batches after the mash) breakfast stout this weekend. I need something to use up a yeastcake after I bottle my brown ale.

Roll over to the mead portion of the forum and look around there. A sweet mead would probably be right up her alley, and it's stupid easy for you to make. Take honey, add water, throw in yeast (and some yeast nutrient). Let gurgle.

With the honey and wheat, who knows, it might already have a name and someone will get on here and say its not beer, its something else.

Maybe its a Wheat/Honey wine.

Guess I'll be that someone... What you've got there is a braggot.

http://mead.bravehost.com/braggot.html
Braggot is a mead made with malt and honey, the malt makes it somewhat similar to beer or ale. To be called braggot not less than half of the fermantable sugars should come from honey, thus putting it in the mead category. This seems to be a style that not many mead makers make. However alot of beer brewers make a similar brew that probably more appropriately would be called honey beer or honey ale because they may use a lesser amount of honey and include hops. There are some (Fred Hardy comes too mind) that would argue that a true braggot should not contain hops.

I even believe your honey should be nearly 100% fermentable, with the malt probably closer to 75%, so your ratios look to give you pretty much a 50/50 mix of fermentables from honey and malt.

Well, I bottled the non-hopped Bavarian Wheat Honey beer today O.G. 1.032
F.G. 1.002 = 3.93 ABV

I tasted it after I took the F.G.(waste not, want not)
It is very good. Nice flavor and not too sweet.
It isn't bitter by any means but it has a nice light taste.
I was going to bottle it without primer but I decided to prime it with a little more honey. I think it will be worth drinking.
Someone that loves I.P.A. might not care for it but I think we will.

here is a Sahti brew done by brewing TV I really want to do a test batch of this
[ame]http://vimeo.com/17090829[/ame]

I have made hopless brews from malt extract. They are tangy, not sweet. (Don't the yeast consume the sugar anyway?) They remind me of good cider. Crisp and refreshing!

Back