Harvesting Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjbroken

Reaction score
I got a wyeast PacMan and instead of using it as a one and done smack-pack, I wanna "keep a culture" for the future. I've read about harvesting from fermenting batches...but am thinking would it be better or easier to get the culture growing as a starter, seperate into two starters so I can use one and keep one culture growing, then hibernate till ready for next batch??? Have experience with starters but am not a yeast "farmer" anyone have insight? Thanks.

I'd just brew a delicious brew with the smack pack then wash the yeast cake after it's done fermenting. You'll get quite a few mason jars of yeast that you can store away.

Thanks all...after your suggestions I did more reading and hav decided to just wash my cake after primary and save it for future batches. Originally read "acid wash" but that is what commerical brewers do. So am thinking I can handle the wash to seperate good yeast and not. Planning a "John John" Dead Guy Ale clone for my first PacMan batch hopin for lots more to come from one pack of this yeast!

Back