Harvesting yeast from a bottle of wild devil...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krumb

Reaction score
...can i used the harvested yeast from a single bottle to ferment five gallons? Or would i need more yeast?

krumb said:
...can i used the harvested yeast from a single bottle to ferment five gallons? Or would i need more yeast?

You would need to build it up in stages. Very little amount of cells in bottle.

Do they use Brett in wild devil or is it a true wild proprietary strain they captured themselves?

If it's just brettanomyces I would just buy it, unless your trying to learn yeast washing and starter techniques. In which case I can think of other easier yeasts to begin with.

Also if it's Brett at what point is it added, bottling or with a few ptnts gravity to go?

Brett...just experimenting, having fun. I have a brown ale to brew...thought about using what i could harvest.

krumb: If you want to harvest that yeast,or any yeast, the best way to do it is to make a starter with it. Make a simple wort with 2 cups of water and a half cup of DME. Boil to sanitise then chill. Pour some into the bottle, swirl, and then dump it into a sanitised container. A mason jar will do fine. This will get you moving in the right direction.

krumb: If you want to harvest that yeast,or any yeast, the best way to do it is to make a starter with it. Make a simple wort with 2 cups of water and a half cup of DME. Boil to sanitise then chill. Pour some into the bottle, swirl, and then dump it into a sanitised container. A mason jar will do fine. This will get you moving in the right direction.

Yea, that is what i did...but i poured it all into a growler. Just wondering if it is enough for 5 gallons of wort work!

Good stuff.

Having read that...I did not see anything that speaks specifically to WHEN I "step it up." How long would you recommend I wait until moving it up to a 2L?

You want to let the yeast do its thing completely. There is some debate on this, but my procedure for each step is 2 days on a stir plate, 2 days in the fridge, decant, repeat.

You want to let the yeast do its thing completely. There is some debate on this, but my procedure for each step is 2 days on a stir plate, 2 days in the fridge, decant, repeat.

MalFet...great help, bro. Much appreciated!

Back