Harvesting twice in one year

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

12pmmike

Reaction score
I have a cascade plant that is 8 years old. Well this year was good to her because the weather was very mild this summer with plenty of rain. I harvested 11.7 oz. Dry weight in mid june. New vines were reaching for the sun so I clear cut all the old and made room for the new. Again in late August she gave me 21 oz. Dry. Does anyone else try to get multiple pickings?

1409106695086.jpg

1409106815105.jpg

Oh hells no. Harvesting three different strains that never come ready at the same time has become a three weekend ordeal as it is, why would I want to double that? I won't have any time to actually brew with 'em 'til winter! ;)

Anyway, it's not in my hands. My Chinook, Centennial and Cascade (and some Fuggles) always go ripe in late August/early September, and have never shown any inclination to do two sets of flowers...

Cheers!

June 15th is when these were first picked. I had to allow the vine to go for it again because it was so early in the year. Kansas City had great weather for them this year. I need to get more varieties growing cascade is the only type I have

1409131599476.jpg

1409131731086.jpg

Back