Harvesting & reusing a 3724/3711 blend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saxman1036

Reaction score
I recently brewed a saison with Wyeast 3724... and it stuck at 1.032. After some research I ended up pitching in a packet of 3711, and it finished the job -nicely - and the beer tastes awesome. :mug:

I've read in other threads that harvesting blended yeasts can work very well, but I was just curious if anyone out there has experience harvesting (& reusing) this particular blend?

I wouldn't be too concerned, except that the two yeasts weren't doing their job simultaneously in the original fermentation (30 days for 3724 followed by 14 days for 3711), and if I reused a harvesting blend of these from my primary, they WOULD be getting pitched in at the same time. Would that affect the flavor?

Knowing what I know about those yeasts, my guess that the 3711 would probably end up being the dominant yeast. I say this because 3724 works much more slowly and 3711 will just take off and do most of the work.

I could be wrong, so just try it and see what happens.

Latest posts

Back