Harvesting kveik from cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TTfireman

Reaction score
Alright, so I normally keep a cider on tap for the summer months. I usually use 3711, but I thought it would be fun to try kveik in a cider. I think there is a LHBS in my area that sells some of the omega stuff, but it may be a little hard to come by.

My question is whether or not I can top crop and dry this yeast and then use if for a beer. Or will the cider yeast only be good for ciders? I’m a little afraid of a residual apple flavor mimicking an acetyldehyde flavor to the beer. Am I just paranoid?

I do not know the answer the that - but if it worries you, why not simply buy one packet for cider, and one for beer, harvest and use them separately. Its only a few extra bucks at the outset, and still a savings in the end. And you do not have to be concerned about the off flavor possibility.

I wouldn't be worried about the carryover of apple flavour, but I have read that yeast that get used to fermenting simple sugars (eg Cider) have their ability to ferment more complex sugars reduced, so it could lead to under attenuation in subsequent beers. It's kveik yeast though - it'll probably ferment anything!

Why top crop and dry the yeast? Just siphon off the cider and dump you beer wort on the yeast cake. Or, pour off the yeast slurry into a mason jar and store in the 'fridge.

Back