Harvesting in Northern Michigan?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NothingRhymesWithCurtiss

Reaction score
Curious as to when everyone is planning on harvesting?

I've got first year Cascades that I grew from some plants that my wife picked up for me for Father's Day. I transplanted them into the ground and got 10+ bines per plant. They topped out around 15" tall before I saw any hops growth.

Based on the size of my hops in comparison to others I've seen, I was planning on waiting until the end of the month, but just saw that MI Local Hops (outside of Traverse City) is harvesting next week. So I'm wondering when everyone else is harvesting?

20160817_122800.jpg

20160817_122744.jpg

10 bines per plant will yield you small cones and cone size isn't a good indicator of when to pick. I'm in Mid-Michigan and I harvested my Mt Hoods 2 weeks ago and my cascade will probably be in a week or 2 depending on if this wet weather will stop.

Most of mine have been ready for about a week, and some are a little overripe now.

Break one in half, longwise, and look at the yellow spots (the lupulin). They should be full, and fragrant. Squeeze a whole cone and see if it 'pops' back. Both are signs they are ready.

Back