Harvesting from La Fin Du Monde?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pwnshop

Reaction score
I have searched but haven't found a definitive answer - does Unibrue filter their yeast and then bottle condition with a different strain for La Fin Du Monde? Or am I able to harvest from the bottles?

Some people have said they do not filter La Fin Du Monde, I'm just hoping someone can confirm this for me.

I know their yeast can be bought sometimes as part of wyeast private collection, but I'm just interested in harvesting and using the yeast from the bottle as an experiment. Not interested in purchasing it.

Thanks!

I do not believe they filter but I am unsure if they bottle condition with a different strain. I have done a tour of their brewery.

NO DO NOT HARVEST FROM UNIBROUE BEERS
They filter and bottle with a champagne yeast. Take it from someone who tried fermenting a dubbel with stepped up unibroue dregs and ended up with undrinkable bottle bombs

NO DO NOT HARVEST FROM UNIBROUE BEERS
They filter and bottle with a champagne yeast. Take it from someone who tried fermenting a dubbel with stepped up unibroue dregs and ended up with undrinkable bottle bombs

Thank you :)

No problem. Try looking for Wyeast seasonal Canadian Belgian 3864. They release it Jan-Mar I think and its definitely Unibroue's yeast. Ive made a handful of successful dubbels/tripels before but once I finally got my hand on this stuff, it blew the others away. It certainly has that super estery unibroue character to it. There's a thread somewhere where I used it to try and make something like Don de Dieu

No problem. Try looking for Wyeast seasonal Canadian Belgian 3864. They release it Jan-Mar I think and its definitely Unibroue's yeast. Ive made a handful of successful dubbels/tripels before but once I finally got my hand on this stuff, it blew the others away. It certainly has that super estery unibroue character to it. There's a thread somewhere where I used it to try and make something like Don de Dieu

Yeah it's on my list of yeasts to buy. Mostly I just have 6 LFDM bottles in my fridge and thought if i could harvest the yeast it would be a fun and ultimately useful experiment as I have never tried harvesting yeast and i love the unibrue strain.

Thanks for the advice I'm glad i didnt waste my time!

Yeah it's on my list of yeasts to buy. Mostly I just have 6 LFDM bottles in my fridge and thought if i could harvest the yeast it would be a fun and ultimately useful experiment as I have never tried harvesting yeast and i love the unibrue strain.

Thanks for the advice I'm glad i didnt waste my time!

Harvesting yeast is fun. It is also practical and empowering. I have harvested successfully with yeast from a Rouge Dead Guy Ale XS, Hoegaarden, and recently with Fin du Monde.

The Fin du Monde bottle dregs were stepped up a few times until I had my starters worth plus a little more that I am keeping in the fridge. The starter had aroma like bananas, but creamy. Similar to the Hoegaarden yeast but mellower, maybe smoother. The beer is fermenting at the moment. I will share my thoughts on the beer in a month or so when the bottles are ready.

My opinion is to try to harvest your bottles. Use you own senses during the build up to decide if you wish to take it further. Have fun with the experience.

IMG_20150923_103448.jpg

IMG_20150923_103131.jpg

So the beer is finished. This was an experimental batch using this yeast. Half was left as the cream ale which you can see attached. The other half I added homemade blueberry extract at bottling.

The attenuation of this yeast was higher than I expected. I kept a vial of it for possible future use.

It is an ok beer. It has belgian character. My wife likes it better than I do. I hope this helps your pursuit in harvesting yeast.

Enjoy

IMG_20151031_170304.jpg

IMG_20151031_170336.jpg

Back