Harvested Yeast Layer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L0-FI

Reaction score
I have harvested yeast before (WY1056) and have seen harvested yeast images throughout the internet- & I have not yet seen a light top layer quite as 'pronounced' as it is in this image. From what I gathered, the trub and dead yeast drop to the bottom (which i have seen before). Is the lightest top layer the only viable yeast from my harvest? ImageUploadedByHome Brew1405475130.319265.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1405475151.748259.jpgThese images are from 2nd gen WY1214. I'm looking to pitch this yeast on Friday, so please feel free to chime in if this separation looks abnormal! If it looks odd- a LHBS pit-stop will be in order before brew day!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Into the starter she'll go!
I swear that the WY1056 didn't have a well defined banding like this did. It makes me think that harvest was lacking viable yeast. However, it sure kickstarted my barleywine! Thanks!

Just because you see it there it doesn't mean the yeast is viable. Without an actual count, and particularly since you are harvesting, who knows what the viability is?

It's a good idea to do a starter for this as you are already planning.

Latest posts

Back