Hartbreak Ridge IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voigtmb

Reaction score
Grain Bill
----------------
10.000 lb American 2-Row
1.250 lb Dextrose
0.500 lb Crystal 120
Single step Infusion at 150°F for 60 Minutes.
Sparge 172° for 15 minutes

Hop Bill
----------------
0.75 oz Chinook Pellet @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.50 oz Simcoe Pellet @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.50 oz Cascade Pellet @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
0.25 oz Chinook Pellet @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
0.50 oz Simcoe Pellet @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
0.50 oz Cascade Pellet @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
0.50 oz Simcoe Pellet @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
0.50 oz Cascade Pellet @ 0 Minutes (flame out)
0.50 oz Simcoe Pellet @ 0 Minutes (flame out)
1.00 oz Cascade Pellet @ 7 Days (Dry Hop)
0.50 oz Simcoe Pellet @ 7 Days (Dry Hop)

Fermented at 68°F with Wyeast 1272 - American Ale II

This is my first try at an IPA. Created the recipe to be like Ranger but with a little more hops. What do yall think? I am hoping to brew next week. Also first post so i apologize in advance if i did something wrong

Hi, welcome to HBT!

I moved your recipe from the database (which is for tried-and-true recipes) to the Recipe Forum, where more folks will see it and hopefully comment on it.

I think your recipe looks great, can't wait to hear how it turns out! A couple of things to think about:

I assume you are adding dextrose to both up the ABV while drying out the beer. You could reduce the crystal percentage (maybe a total of 1/2 pound instead of 1 pound) and/or lower the mash temp to get a drier beer.

For the hop scheduled, take the 25 minute additions and add them later - what is being called 'hop bursting' these days. In other words, do a 60 minute addition, then start throwing hops in at 10, 5 and 0 minutes. You'll need to use more hops to get the same IBUs, but you'll get more flavor.

For the dry hopping, I almost always use at least 3 ounces for IPAs, for what its worth, usually for about 5 days.

Again, the recipe looks great! Keep us informed about how it progresses for you!

Thanks for the input I am hoping to sit down tonight and make some changes. Then if all goes well hope to brew next week.

So I finally got the ingredients and time together and made this beer today. I dropped the crystal 40 and adjusted the hop times think its gona turn out good. Had a problem with the wort wanting to boil over. It was really bad first 20 min and then got bad again when started adding hops at the end. Is this typical with an IPA. I have made several beers before most dark and have not seen a tendency to boil over.

Yup, it's normal and not just for IPAs. Things that have a tendency to foam up a bit, like DME and pellet hops, when added to a rolling boil will do exactly that. I'm sure there is some nice, chemistry explanation to it...

I changed the originally recipe I posted to reflect what I brewed. Things looking good it's working good will try and post pics when rack into secondary.

Update I put this beer in the keg two days ago and it smells and taste good for room temp flat beer. OG was 1.066 and FG was 1.006 so should be around 7.8 ABV. Just added some gelatin to clear it up and hope to be drinking this time next week.

I am very pleased with how this turned out. Think I will tweak the late hop amounts to give it a little more aroma. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390257722.698063.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1390257739.092890.jpg

Back