Hardware suggestions for 1-2 gallon starters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOut

Reaction score
Currently I am fermenting 1 bbl lagers and making starters in multiple 2000ml flasks and stir plates. I want to simplify the process and use one vessel for large starters. I am considering using a 2.5 gallon corny keg with modified 1/2" dip tube and an agitator. I was wondering if anybody has a solution for large starters ? I've seen people use 1-2 gallon glass carboys but I'm not sure how well a stir plate would work on those because the bottoms are not flat. My other concern is pitching from the carboy would be difficult because the fermenters are heavy and have little overhead space to get the carboy in there. I'm thinking with the corny keg I could use gas to push it into the fermenter. Any ideas or suggestions would be great!!

Thanks, those are an option but still a little small. My average starter is 1.5 gallon.

I usually make two 3/4 gallon starters for 10 gallon batches and use two 1 gallon pickle jars.

Unfortunately I don't know of anything bigger than can be used on a stir plate.

Is 1.5gal enough for a bbl of lager? My sop for 1/2bbl batches is

2L in a 5L flask on stirplate, then

8L in a 12L glass carboy, intermittent O2 for first 2hrs (it's usually going by this time)

I'm putting more than the recommended amount for most ales, and a bit less for lagers. On a repitch, I go straight from slurry to the 8L starter. Perhaps you should use a 3gal stockpot... with a thin one you might get a stirbar to couple to a plate. Put a strip of foil around the lid to prevent dust from gathering there. That way, dust will not fall in the starter when you remove the lid when decanting the starter wort.

The 5 liter ss growlers on ebay for ~$25 are good value, if a little small for your purpose.

The 1.75 gallon kegs the Pico Pro uses for fermenting 5 L batches in are ball locks, and would work for pressure transfer pitching. I wonder if O2 or sterile air for the transfer would be worthwhile.

The corny lids with 1" hole sold for fitting a stopper/airlock might be good gear for using a lab stirrer.

How about fermenting a 5-10 gallon batch with a 2-5 liter starter then pitch the yeast cake into your 1 bbl fermenter?
After that you can easily repitch from the 1bbl multiple times. You could store yeast slurries in cornies or Sankes.

I use 2 ("decommissioned") orbital lab shakers for making starters in 2 liter flasks, 1/2 gallon pickle jars, or gallon wine jugs. I can fit four 1/2 gallon pickle jars or 2 liter flasks on each shaker. The max volume is around 1.5 liter for the pickle jars, 1.6-1.8 liter for the 2 liter flasks.

Back