Hard plastic gasket inside ball valve?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amadeo38

Reaction score
I took my 2-piece (I think?) ball valve apart for cleaning and noticed something white kind of obstructing the flow. I used a wrench to separate the two parts of the valve and remove the obstruction. Turned out to be a hard white plastic gasket between the two pieces and it’s a bit warped. The ball part of the valve kind of pivots on it, and gets hung up where it’s warped, making it a little hard to close the valve.

I can’t, for the life of me, figure out how to search for this piece online to replace it. I’ve tried a number of search terms.

Does anyone know off-hand what that hard white plastic gasket is called? I’d take a pic but I’m lazy and already put it all back together. Don’t want to do it again until I’ve got the replacement part.

Thanks in advance

That one is for a tri clamp ball valve. If you have a standard ball valve you can search for ball valve seals. Hope this helps.....

John

Not quite. I got up and took pics.
IMG_3659.JPG

IMG_3661.JPG

IMG_3660.JPG

Yeah that is a ball valve seal. Kinda hard to get replacements but I know I saw them somewhere. I will try and nail it down for you and post back.

John

Maybe it’s because it got hot and changed, but all the results I’m seeing look completely flat. This one has a bit of a sunken in part that allows it to seat into the kettle-side part of the valve (see first pic).

I took my 2-piece (I think?) ball valve apart for cleaning and noticed something white kind of obstructing the flow. I used a wrench to separate the two parts of the valve and remove the obstruction. Turned out to be a hard white plastic gasket between the two pieces and it’s a bit warped. The ball part of the valve kind of pivots on it, and gets hung up where it’s warped, making it a little hard to close the valve.

I can’t, for the life of me, figure out how to search for this piece online to replace it. I’ve tried a number of search terms.

Does anyone know off-hand what that hard white plastic gasket is called? I’d take a pic but I’m lazy and already put it all back together. Don’t want to do it again until I’ve got the replacement part.

Thanks in advance
that looks like a regular 1 piece valve.. (they all come apart like that) Not sure how that happened to the nylon seal but you would have to try to find a replacement from the same manufacturer that made the valve. they are all different as far as I know.

I does look as if the kettle may have been used on a flame burner or stovetop at one point without the heatshield for the valve?

They are teflon (or nylon). This might get you in the right direction. Google "Teflon ball valve seal". Did you try the supplier you bought it from?

Screenshot_2019-04-13-09-28-32.jpeg

that looks like a regular 1 piece valve.. (they all come apart like that) Not sure how that happened to the nylon seal but you would have to try to find a replacement from the same manufacturer that made the valve. they are all different as far as I know.

I does look as if the kettle may have been used on a flame burner or stovetop at one point without the heatshield for the valve?

Not sure whether it’s one piece or two piece, but since it comes apart into two pieces, I assume it’s the latter.

The valve came with my Bayou Classic kettle. And yes, my old burner was just a cheap camp stove burner with no heat shield before I upgraded to a Hellfire.

They are teflon (or nylon). This might get you in the right direction. Google "Teflon ball valve seal". Did you try the supplier you bought it from?

View attachment 621835

I’ll take a look at Bayou Classic suppliers. Thanks.

The PTFE gasket in your valve appears to have a custom profile, presumably so that it will sit tight in the kettle attachment without falling to the floor every time you disassemble the valve for cleaning. Unless the size is extremely non-standard you should still be able to replace it with a standard ball valve gasket from a third party.

Not sure whether it’s one piece or two piece, but since it comes apart into two pieces, I assume it’s the latter.

The valve came with my Bayou Classic kettle. And yes, my old burner was just a cheap camp stove burner with no heat shield before I upgraded to a Hellfire.

I’ll take a look at Bayou Classic suppliers. Thanks.
all ball valves come apart the same way they are assembled.. A "one piece" is not really one piece when disassembled... the end screws off a one piece and then you turn the valve to the open position and the ball falls out to clean.
I have the same bayou kettles that came with valves but both mine also came with heat shield plates from bayou. (mine are the 62 quart turkey fryer ones)

the 3 piece valves come apart into many pieces when cleaning.. im not sure why they are named the way they are.

I replaced at least one of my bayou valves with a $6 ebay valve which has real standard threads unlike the bayou ones which use odd threads which didnt quite match my BST or standard threads. A replacement seal from bayou may likely run you as much as a better valve is all im saying.

Last edited:
Back