Hard piped rig owners how do you prime your pump?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EuBrew

Reaction score
I've run unto issues getting the saga of a brewery build working again. Now I've discovered my pump orientation is wrong and causing priming issues with my chugger pumps. I'll be ordering new stainless this week to reroute and change my orientation.

What's the consensus on hard piping a pump. I can use any orientation, I just would rather avoid a bleeder or auto vent if it's possible.

I have 3 pumps. HLT pump just feeds Mash Tun. Mash Tun pump recirculates through the HEX on one leg of a 3 way valve and fills the BK on the other. BK pump routes through a chilling coil on one leg of a 3 way valve and drains wort to fermenter on the other.

I have my pumps hard plumed under my bottom drain kettles. when valve opens all the air escapes.

I forget where I read it, but someone mentioned that the very first thing they do when they start brewing is run water through all of their hard plumbed lines, valves and pumps. This way everything is primed and ready to go, just with a little extra tap water. This is what I plan on doing once I have my system all together.

Cheers!
Max

Back