Hard line for CO2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misin4mati0n

Reaction score
I am working on building a vintage refrigerator/kegerator for my living room. I have been going back and forth about where to put the CO2 tank. Im not a fan of leaving it in the fridge, and the fridge is going to be on display in the house so sitting the tank to the side is out. The fridge will eventually sit around 15 feet from my garage. I was thinking it would be really cool to keep the tank and primary regulator in the garage and run some sort of hard line trough the attic and down the wall to a quick disconnect and a short length of line to the fridge. Then a set of secondary regulators in the fridge.

Has anyone done anything like this or have any input on what sort of line I should run in the attic/wall?

-Kyle

Haven't done it, but apparently many breweries use copper. As a point of comparison, a normal water pressure would be 50 psi, so it can easily hand 10 psi for serving.

As for a recommendation - I'd recommend putting the tank next to the keg. It works fine and gives immediate access to fix anything that goes wrong.

You could also use pex tubing. Easier to run than copper but way more durable than standard air.

Copper would work just fine too. People do it all the time in shops for much higher pressure. Though they may be using galvanized tubing, though the concept is all the same.

Well, found the fridge. Thanks for the ideas, I think im going to go aluminum fuel line.

ykimdAt.jpg

No problem running the line from the remote source of CO2, you have a couple of options:

1) run high pressure CO2 from tank to fridge. Either hardline or steel braided tubing. Tank is roughly 800psi, higher potential of leaks, etc.

2) put primary reg at the tank, then run low pressure (30-50psi) co2 to fridge and secondary reg. Can use PVC, flex tubing, etc. Much easier to run lower pressure line. Still have the ability to change serving pressure at fridge.

Black (and other colors) plastic truck air brake line is available with many quick connect "sharkbite" type fittings. It's designed to handle air pressure, it's cheap, rugged, and reliable. The brass quick disconnects are great....Just push the collet in, and you can pull the line out of the connector. It's available in numerous sizes from about 1/8" upward to at least 3/4".

H.W.

Back