hard lemonade help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fleas

Reaction score
ok after reading the other thread on hard lemonade im making my own batch im only doing a small 1 gal batch to see if i like it but im a little confused about some stuff since im only doing a 1 gal batch so heres my questions

my recipe:
2 cans lemonade (minute made)
1\5 lb extra light malt extract
6.4 oz corn sugar
1 gal water (or what ever tops it off)
1tsp yeast nutrient
white labs champagne yeast #wlp715

boil lemonade and LME for 20 minutes cool and pitch yeast i have never used yeast nutrient when do i add it??

ok here comes my questions (1) i thought i was going to brew tonight but it got to late but i had the yeast out for about 2 and a half hours and i put it back in the frig is it still ok or do i need new yeast?? (2) i heard it is hard to get the yeast started with the acidit lemonade so i was thinking i would make a starter with a little bit of every thing in it only a 12 oz coz of the size of my batch or should i just pitch?(3) since im only doing a one gal batch and my yeast is the for a 5 gal batch should i pitch it all or only 1\5?

is there any thing i missed im really confused about this batch for some reason

thanks fleas

fleas said:
ok after reading the other thread on hard lemonade im making my own batch im only doing a small 1 gal batch to see if i like it but im a little confused about some stuff since im only doing a 1 gal batch so heres my questions

my recipe:
2 cans lemonade (minute made)
1\5 lb extra light malt extract
6.4 oz corn sugar
1 gal water (or what ever tops it off)
1tsp yeast nutrient
white labs champagne yeast #wlp715

boil lemonade and LME for 20 minutes cool and pitch yeast i have never used yeast nutrient when do i add it??

ok here comes my questions (1) i thought i was going to brew tonight but it got to late but i had the yeast out for about 2 and a half hours and i put it back in the frig is it still ok or do i need new yeast?? (2) i heard it is hard to get the yeast started with the acidit lemonade so i was thinking i would make a starter with a little bit of every thing in it only a 12 oz coz of the size of my batch or should i just pitch?(3) since im only doing a one gal batch and my yeast is the for a 5 gal batch should i pitch it all or only 1\5?

is there any thing i missed im really confused about this batch for some reason

thanks fleas

Your yeast will be fine. Some people leave theirs out for 24 hours prior to brewing, so no issue there.
As far as your starter the best thing would probably be to use some of your Malt extract boiled in a small amount of water. Just search for 'Yeast Starter' on here for more info. In fact I'm sure theres a link in one of the FAQ's.

(Edit: Missed #3, yes, you could make a smaller starter for one gallon. I would use more than 1/5, but you don't neccessarily need all of it.)

ok so i made a starter on friday it was (350 ml) water a little less then a cup of DME and a spoon full of lemonade and my yeast it hasnt really been doing much at all i cant tell if its working (coz iv never made a starter) it smells like its fermenting (alittle) so should it be fermenting vigorously or is this how a starter is? when i get home from work today i will post some pictures

fleas

oh and i think im going to slap an air lock on it and see how it likes it (it has tinfoil on it right now)

fleas

Latest posts

Back