hard lemonade bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wally48159

Reaction score
First off, I apologize if my grammar is off, I had to "test" some other wine batches. I might be a little drunk.

I made some hard lemonade that is ready for bottling. But I guess Mike's Hard Lemonade is normal carbonated, so I need to know how to carbonate my batch. Here's my recipe:
10 cans minute maid lemonade
2 lbs sugar
1/4 lb ultra light dry malt extract
EC-1118 yeast

OG 1.070
FG 0.980
so about 10% ABV, wow!!

It tastes great, but I don't know how much sugar to add to carbonate the batch when I bottle it. Anybody have any ideas? Thank you very much.

I'm thinking 2 cups of sugar and some boiled water to prime it. But I'm used to doing beer, and that might be different. I don't want to waste 5 gallons. This stuff tastes great!

I used the same amount as when I bottle, 5 ounces. The yeast is the same as beer and 2 cups of sugar is likely to get you bottle bombs.

So, I should boil 5 oz of sugar into a couple cups of water. And use that to prime 5 gallons?

Is that enough to carbonate it all? Because with beer I usually boil one cup of corn sugar in about 2 cups of water to prime it.

Thanks in advance.

I made a simple sugar by boiling in water and mine carbonated fine with 5 ounces. I don't know how much that is in cups but it's probably between 3/4 and 1 cup so you should be good to go.

Back