Hard Kombucha - yeast and honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ouranos

Reaction score
I'm following the recipe from Northern brewer for Boozy Kombucha however it only uses yeast + optional hops + the sugar [ I used honey ] since I have a Jun SCOBY and it has lived a life of honey thus far.
Questions:
  1. Other recipes suggest using barley and malt in addition to hops and yeast - how would addition of barley and malt impact the final product vs simply using honey + yeast + hops
  2. 2ry fermentation temperature : am I correct to assume that I follow the yeast temp requirements vs the temp typically used for kombucha[ scoby already removed for 2ry ferment]
  3. sugar vs honey: the recipe calls for sugar but I have been feeding scoby honey - i used honey to make the yeast slurry - how could this impact my final product and why could one one form of 'food' be more beneficial than another eg sugar vs honey
  4. flavouring and carbonation: I I go directly from 2ry ferment to bottle without adding juice or other sugar source, would the ingredients thus far be enough to provide sufficient carbonation?
Thanks for your insights!

Latest posts

Back