Hard Iced Tea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhot55

Reaction score
I've searched and searched and it really is amazing that this seems to be so difficult to crack. I'm NOT looking for a high alcohol (tea bags in vodka) tea but a nice crisp slightly sweet (yet a bit tart) low alcohol hard tea....i understand Mike's hard Tea uses malt only as a sales issue, but to me that seems to be the best way to go, with most if not all of the flavoring aspects in the secondary. How does this sound for a 3 gallon hard iced tea recipe.

Batch Size: 3.00 gal

Boil Volume: 3.71 gal Boil Time: 60 min

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
0.24 lb Treacle (100.0 SRM) Extract 7.2 %
1.52 lb Pale Ale Malt 2-Row (Briess) (3.5 SRM) Grain 45.7 %
0.06 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 1.9 %
0.60 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1.00 items Lemon Concentrate (Secondary 14.0 days) Misc
48.00 items Tea Bags (Secondary 14.0 days) Misc
1.00 lb Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar 30.1 %
0.50 lb Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 15.0 %
1 Pkgs Safale US-05 (fermentis #us-05) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.036 SG (1.030-1.110 SG)
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.010 SG (1.006-1.024 SG)
Estimated Color: 7.5 SRM (5.0-50.0 SRM) Color [Color]
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 3.3 % (2.5-12.0 %)

Mash= 154* for 60 minutes

I figure an oz. of honey malt will give it a nice touch of sweetness with the 2-row making up a nice light base. The treacle, corn sugar, and honey are just other sugars to add in to get the OG up. I figure someone can give me ideas regarding using 1 over the other (i.e. get rid of treacle, use more corn sugar, etc.). The tea bags and lemon concentrate are to be added to secondary- how about ideas with tea bags. steep them in a "thick" small concentration of water, bring down temp and then add OR just toss them in secondary and let them steep at room temp? I am also trying to avoid a "winey" taste which is why i consider a malt base a good way to go.

Back