Hard Cider in History

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mcduff

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am looking for some links that might show the history of hard cider. Specificly looking for how it was made before the 1600's.

TIA,
Mcduff

There was a recent discussion about how cider was made in 1837 (I think that was the year) on Ciderworkshop.org. It is a google group, so you can search for it. Somebody found an old book and scanned it in. While you are there, you could ask them. Them = cider making Brits who are mostly orchardists and/or hobbiests. I'm sure one of them could tell you something.

Otherwise, Ben Watson's book Cider: Hard & Sweetis the most comprehensive I have seen on the history of cider making. Granted, that doesn't exactly give you a recipe or anything...

Otherwise, Ben Watson's book Cider: Hard & Sweetis the most comprehensive I have seen on the history of cider making. Granted, that doesn't exactly give you a recipe or anything...

That is a good one. my local library has it, so hopefully most peoples library has it also. In some respects it gets pretty esoteric, but it still is the best reference to cider.

Latest posts

Back