Hangover from hell.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A mate invited me to a pub on Saturday. The pub ale is crap, no real ale or even guest kegs but seeing how I was going for the company I thought I'd have one last HB and suffer the "crap" on offer. I started with the Newcastle Brown Bottles but got bored with it after 3 so I tried the Dark mild with a bottle of manns brown in it. Nice body and a great taste (like some of the women in there). After 3 of them (beers, not the women) I spotted a bottled Barley wine at 9.1%. I think my mistake was having 4 pints (8 bottles) of the stuff. the bar closed at 12pm and we went onto some ones house. I finally got home at 5am...... Yes I did have an hangover....a very bad one. and no I've not managed to face another beer yet.

I'm still suffering from my Saturday night. Wife out of town = long night out with the boys. My problem is the smokes. If I can get through a long night of drinking without a cigarette I can usually get over the hump by the afternoon of the next day. If I smoke, however, I may be hungover for a couple days - as I am this morning. Especially if I do three nights in a row - as I did Thursday, Friday, Saturday. Lots of Christmas parties this time of year and old friends in town for the holidays.

I'm not even a smoker, but when I start to get a little tipsy I start to crave the cigs and once I start I'm like a friggin' chimney. Go to a bar where folks are smokin' and they start smellin' real good. They never ever ever sound good sober - but the cigs and long nights seem to go hand in hand for me.

AHU

I always drink a glass of OJ and a bottle of water and pop some Ibuprofen, it never fails me. I had a couple of doozies the last few nights with x-mas parties almost every night. I love this time of year!

Yeah, water and some ibuprofen can work wonders. But as Orfy stated, I don't always have the presence of mind or physical wherewithal needed to get'er done. It's hard to open pill bottles and find the kitchen sink when you can't keep your eyes open. Ha ha! :cross:

AHU

drinking a pint a water after every couple beers helps to. fights the dehydration that makes a hangover killer. then a couple pints of h20 prior to bed. does the trick!

I worked at a place once where a bunch of guys were getting Midol from the tool room. I asked what was going on and was told it was good for hangovers. Seemed pretty wierd.

I heard the Midol thing before too and I've tried it. I think it works better, but it's hard to tell when you feel like s**t anyway. I believe it contains caffeine as well as the standard anti-inflamatorys.

AHU

Ok Orfy. I might have you beat from last Sat. And it goes like this...

Company Xmas Party at a local resort. Usually each year we'll get a discounted rate for a room at a 5 star resort but we had a second party to go to afterwards. So we figure we'll just do the taxi thing for the evening; cheaper than a nights stay at the hotel.

Anyhow. At the Xmas Party I start drinking Gin Martini's on the rocks. Two drink tickets given to each person then we're supposed to pay for our own consumption. BIG martini's. Dinner Time. Tickets gone, switch to bottled beer. Get my 1st one; a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale... $6.75 please :mad:. Drink it down. Not paying that again, I got the flask in my jacket. Bartender, can I get a Coke. $3.75 Please :mad:. Mix it up drink it down. Screw them, I'll just drink the whiskey on the rocks going forward (lucky me I brought two flasks). An ugly trend is setting in.

Been here for 3 hours and already a happy boy. I work with these people; we're outta here! Taxi? Off to the next party. A bartender friend of ours from the local brewpub. Lives in an old warehouse district. Happens to have a bigger bar in his house than the brewpub. Everything is on tap including their IPA, my favorite. Uhm.. 2 hours or so later we leave. I'm hammered but can still communicate & walk. 1/2 hour taxi drive home. Pay/tip the guy. Get out of the taxi. Walk up to the house (ok NOW I'm stumbling) and trip on the stairs; doink my friggen head on a clay flower pot right above the left eye. Doh, get in the house. Tell the wife to stop laughing. Blood over the eyebrow. Hey, where's my wallet? ****! It's in the taxi cab! What taxi company was that? I don't know! Call the bartender friend as he called the cab company for us. Get the # and call them. I'm slurring too much to talk rational; pass phone to the wife. Anyways; an hour later I did get my wallet back with all items in tact. Tip the guy big time again!

The next morning I wake up not feeling too bad (Because I'm still a bit drunk) but I now have a big ol black eye. How do I explain this one.... Oh I got it; a shelf fell as I'm pulling a carboy off it (it is up high). Caught the shelf with my face as opposed to having the carboy shatter ;).

No more excessive hard alchohol for me. Stick with brew and I can go all night... Drinkers remorse is finally going away, but the black eye lingers. But remember the truth about the black eye is our little secret my fellow homebrewers :D

that's pretty good desert brew!
i pulled one at my wife's work party the other night. whoa nelly!
started w/ a six pack of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale. the host had made over 200 tequilla jell-o shots (i think i had 182 of 'em!), then i hit the Crown and Sprite....big, big, BIG mistake. my wife tells me she came outside, saw me sitting in a lawn chair by the fire pit, and saw me take off my shoe and throw it over my shoulder. she decided it was time to go.
sad thing is, it was the first time i'd met my wife's co-workers.

but, tnhey we're all toasted (in part to the jell-o shots) so i was in good company.

needless to say, i was hurting REAL bad and it's taken 4 days to get over. damn i'm getting too old for that stuff.....

DeRoux's Broux said:
but, they we're all toasted (in part to the jell-o shots) so i was in good company.

needless to say, i was hurting REAL bad and it's taken 4 days to get over. damn i'm getting too old for that stuff.....

Hmm, Jello Shots. I had a couple hundred of those in my fridge a few years back. A guys 40th party where some friends of theirs made 1000 of them from various types of booze. He didn't have the room for all of them :D.

Yes on the too old thing. Looks like I got 10 years on ya. Doesn't get any easier :eek:

desertBrew said:
Yes on the too old thing. Looks like I got 10 years on ya. Doesn't get any easier :eek:
Ten more years and you'll feel like that just from eating a bowl of jello. :eek:

Back