Hanging out with your Dad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKelley

Reaction score
Just had a great night, hanging out with my dad and drinking beer at a bar I built in my house. Spent the night bull****ting about everything from politics to our respective SWMBO's (mine's in St. Louis visiting family and his is my mother). We even sampled a bit of home brew, however the variety I currently have on tap is a Belgian White of sorts which isn't exactly his cup of tea...not to mention the recipe didn't turn out exactly as smooth as I might have liked, but that happens when you let your fancy free with a recipe for the first time.

I guess what I'm getting at, anyone else here consider their dad their best drinkin buddy (not necessarily the most frequent).....

yep, had mine over today as well (the inlaw dad, actually but he is cool). Sampled the latest and sent him home with a few.

last time i saw my dad was in limo in myrtle beach. we where indulging in party favors and beer with a few strippers in the car. great time but terrible father.

Although my father don't drink anymore, he and I still hang out. In fact I consider him my best friend other than my wife. At least while he is alive, I can treasure each memory we create each time we are together.

I have to say I HATED my father when I was growing up. He's a great bloke, but not much of a father. Seems everythin I ever did was WRONG....

Then I grew up and realised that he wasn't a bad bloke.. just BAD father. I got past that part and decided I liked hanging out with him. As a person, he's a GREAT guy, he just never should have had kids... but then I guess I never would have been born eh?

Wish I wasn't haflway around the world from him now... Wish he would get his Hillbilly arse on aplane and come visit me in paradise, instead of me having to go visit him every 5-6 years...

Never had a drink with my father. He swore off drinking when I was about 16. He's an alcoholic who doesnt drink. He is a far better person from it though. We do golf quite a bit though.

When I turned 21 instead of going out with all the guys from work who wanted to get me hammered, I drove back home and me and my dad went out for a steak dinner and a few beers at the bar. It was a fun night, and it meant a lot more to me than if I would have gone out binging with the guys.

My dad is awesome. He loves Miller High Life, so I'm steadily trying to broaden his horizons:) We get together pretty frequently to bbq & drink beer w/ friends. He's kinda like the cool dad your friends all want to hang out with. We have a pretty good time:mug:

SWMBO and I hang out with my parents more than any of my friends. We go out to dinner a couple times a week, BBQ at my place and theirs, vacations, its great. When I was growing up and living with them, we didn't get along well at all. I was the rebel of the family and never wanted to do anything they said, which resulted in many many arguments. After moving out 5 years ago we have become very close. I can't imagine not hanging out with them.

I remember my last beer with my dad. He was in the hospital, dying from cancer. I owned a small auto parts store at the time and he called me at work. I could hardly hear him speak, because his throat was ruined from constant vomiting from chemotherapy. He whispered "I want a beer."

I closed my store and bought a six pack and drove straight to the hospital. I snuck it into the cancer ward and helped him drink some in a little plastic cup. After a few minutes a nurse came in and just about hit the flipping ceiling. I told her that if my dad calls me and says he wants to have a beer with his son, then by God we are gonna have one! She just turned around and walked out.

He probably only drank a couple ounces. I think I just finished that one off. He died a couple weeks later. That was about 20 years ago.

MikeFlynn74 said:
damn- that is depressing. Good on you- now you would probably have been put in jail for domestic terrorism.

I typed that out real quick without thinking about it much. Then I hit submit and read what I had just typed and walked outside crying.

mrk305 said:
I remember my last beer with my dad. He was in the hospital, dying from cancer. I owned a small auto parts store at the time and he called me at work. I could hardly hear him speak, because his throat was ruined from constant vomiting from chemotherapy. He whispered "I want a beer."

I closed my store and bought a six pack and drove straight to the hospital. I snuck it into the cancer ward and helped him drink some in a little plastic cup. After a few minutes a nurse came in and just about hit the flipping ceiling. I told her that if my dad calls me and says he wants to have a beer with his son, then by God we are gonna have one! She just turned around and walked out.

He probably only drank a couple ounces. I think I just finished that one off. He died a couple weeks later. That was about 20 years ago.

I hear you. My dad died when I was in my middle twenties after twelve years on a kidney machine. What I wouldn't give to have a few warm Augsbergers ( his beer of choice) with him today while sitting in a boat drowning a few worms.
Enjoy it now, everyone, because it won't last forever.

My dad is a BMC kind of guy. We have the same opinion of each other's taste in beer..."I don't know how you can drink that s**t."

My father and I are best friends, he had me young so he can still go out and be fairly active with me. We hunt, fish, bbq, camp, and he comes down to football games at the college he went to and where i currently am. Not for one moment do i take it for granted, i realized after being a dick of a teen that my dad is one of the best people i'll ever know and we have a lot of respect for each other.

...now if i could say that about my bat**** crazy mom...

Pops and I met out for a few beers during the day yesterday then he came over to get some my IPA homebrew and Apfelwein. We lived in Germany for little while (he was in the Army) so I wanted him to try it. He liked it. It was real cool we used to hang every weekend but his and my schedules have been colliding.

While I have your eyes, the place we usually go hang out here in Galveston was packed so we went to the shop next to it, I had liked thier beer selection better anyway, BUT they added a wine cellar that had about 6 different Meads, Possman's apfelwein, & 4 different Sake's, as well as an awesome beer selection. We got the 60,90 min Dogfish head. So he could have a baseline to thrash my IPA.The place has been there forever but has really improved it selection in everything like in its hey day. It called The Strand Emporium. You sit out front and enjoy your Chimay or wine or walk and window shop with a bomber in hand. I will miss this place and my Pops when I move in July.

my dad is a brewer (beer and wine). actually i learned to brew while in college and never told him that i even drank. so eventually i started to get known for my beers around town and one time he came up and i gave him some. he was pretty surprised to see that i "out-brewed" him! haha but now he's kicking some serious ass. just brewed and arrogant bastard clone.
the other day we brewed a RIS and he told me about the first time he ever brewed. He was 13! living out in the country he stole a can of malt from the local grocery store. he stole an old crock from his house and went to the basement of the local church (catholics!). he put the malt in and filled it up with warm tap water and put a rag over the top and put it away in the corner. three days later him and his friend were gonna bottle it. so they used bottles that they found from the dance in the church hall from the night before. stole a bench capper and got it done. then the came back the next day and about half of hte bottles had exploded. so they used a welders glove and a trashcan lid as a shield and they opened them up as best they could. they hoisted one and it tasted like cigarettes! turns out there were smokes in the bottles from the dance! hahahah

I don't see my dad as often as I would like, maybe once every couple of years, but we do talk about every week or so. I wouldn't expect my dad to sample any of my beers as he is diabetic and has some other conditions where he has been told not to drink alcohol in any significant amounts. While he has said it's OK to have the occasional drink, it's not a big enough deal to him to drink at all. Haven't seen him since before I started brewing, but he's shown interest in the hobby and would probably like to help me brew a batch, and perhaps sample some small amounts of homebrew.

My Dad is a cool guy and I wish we could get together more often.

Like others my dad passed when I was young. But I have had the opportunity to hoist a few of my craft brews with my 21 year old son. He and his buddies stop by and check out what is on tap and shoot a few games of pool.

Rick

A little OT...

Here about that Austrailian fellow and his 31 year old daughter having a kid together? They must of been really good drinkin buddies.

I'll sit and have a beer with my old man a few times a year. He's not much of a drinker, and he drinks BMC when he does drink - but that's one of the few times that it's not about the beer so I don't mind.

JKelley said:
I guess what I'm getting at, anyone else here consider their dad their best drinkin buddy (not necessarily the most frequent).....
I live for these times. It's even better when my brother, dad and I get to hang out.

I see my dad at every chance that I get. He is the smartest, coolest person that I know... hands down. I love my husband and my dad equally yet in different ways. Do I drink with him? Sure thing! He's not my drinking buddy (hubby has that honor) yet we still enjoy a good brew or three together, especially on car show weekends!

My dad is my best friend though he wont try my homebrew it does not bother me I just buy him a sixer of coors light and we can sit around and bull**** about everything from truckers stories to me screwing up in school its all in great fun and we can hang out for hours.

I lost my father 3 years ago. I miss the hell out of him, he was a truly great man. He wasn't much into craft beer or my homebrew but he'd always try it. ''It's too bitter'' he'd say.

He didn't drink much but when he did, his beer of choice was Hamm's. Shortly after he passed away, I brewed a tribute beer for him that I served at my annual holiday party. A golden ale called ''Yankee Drifter'' (he was a big time CB radio buff and this was his handle). It's as close to Hamm's as I wanted to get it. I'm the one that has to drink it after all.

I did have the opportunity to take him to a Mendocino Brewing brewer's dinner at Collins Pub about a year before he died. He grew up in Ukiah, CA so he really enjoyed drinking the beers from his ''home town''.

As others have stated earlier. Cherish the time you have with your father and make as many special memories together while you can. Because after all, when they're gone, those memories are all you have.

Brewtopia said:
As others have stated earlier. Cherish the time you have with your father and make as many special memories together while you can. Because after all, when they're gone, those memories are all you have.

My parents got divorced when I was 17. Once he started dating his future wife, he didn't want much to do with my brother and I. Brother was 9- he's now 21, and hasn't spoken with him since. I saw him once or twice over about 6 years, no hard feelings, no great ones. He was a good father to me as a little kid other than a few bipolar episodes getting outta hand, kinda pissed me off how he did my brother.
When I found out my wife was pregnant, I showed up to his work to have a talk, he didn't recognize me at first. I am kinda going by that quote and starting over. We see each other a couple of times a year now. Didn't know he tried brewing and winemaking. I guess he was unsuccessful at brewing, but they still do wine. He brought me a bunch of bottles, I sent him home with a few full ones. Got a phone call from him- fishing on the lake- had just sampled his first brew of mine and loved it.
He comes by a little more often now, and we have something to talk about. So, guess we are far from drinking buddies, but homebrewing has done a lot.

Awww.... man you guys are bringing me down. I love my old man, but he lives a good 500 miles away from me.

The good news is that I spend a week every year fishing with him up in Canada. You better believe we are drinking. Heh.

Last friday, my Uncle and Pops came up to visit me, here at Purdue. They're twins and as such are best of friends. Growing up, my dad was the perfect cocktail dad. Learned to appreciate the good stuff, be it gin or a good german brew. That friday night, the 3 of us and 2 of my friends at school went down to 9 Irish Brothers, a cool little irish pub in town. Ended up closing the bar down there at 1 with two rounds of car bombs with our waitress, and two bartenders. Then walked up the hill the Harry's Chocolate Shop (not a candy store) and closed that bar down too. Hell, our cute waitress from 9 Irish even met up with us at Harry's after work.

I often enjoy a beer or two at his local bar of choice, good friends with the owner and have been going there since he opened it. My first legal beer was enjoying a Warsteiner at the local bar with my dad. He even left work early to enjoy that first beer with me. Later that night was time with my friends, but I had to have the first with him.

Oh and though I didn't really drink till I was of age, he always told me: "I don't mind if you drink, but don't be stupid, and you have to have your first beer with me."

My dad is on too many prescriptions to drink much beer, but he will always try my newest brews.

"Wow, that's got a kick to it" is usually his response.

wow guys, thanks for making me feel like a complete ass.....

My wife told me the other day that my mom called her saying my dad wanted to come down this weekend and surprise me for my birthday. Knowing that I have finals the week after and I was probably going to be holed up in a lbrary all weeked instead of enjoying my birthday, she tried to discourage him coming. I completely agreed with her and even though I wasn't supposed to know, I was hoping my dad would not make the trip so I could get my stuff done.....

Now after reading this thread, I am almost wanting to call my dad up and invite him. Screw finals, I can always re-take a course, I can't re-spend time with my pops.:(

It will be 5 years in July since my dad passed away. Not a day goes by that I don't think of him. He was a great guy and was always there for me and we had a lot of good times and we drank a lot of beer together. Here's to you pop.

Back