Handle Pumpkin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bishop916

Reaction score
Carmelize canned pumpkin, boil for about 10 minutes in a few gallons of water.
Strain water to remove pumpkin, add water, heat to strike temp.
Mash with pumpkin water.

Discuss.

In my experience (not from brewing pumpkin brews, but chatting with those who have) the flavor in pumpkin brews comes from the spices more than the actual pumpkin.

This is my standard OP for my pumpkin ale. I use a 5 gallon paint strainer for the pumpkin. I get great flavor, aroma, and color doing it this way and far less trouble.

This is my standard OP for my pumpkin ale. I use a 5 gallon paint strainer for the pumpkin. I get great flavor, aroma, and color doing it this way and far less trouble.

:ban:

It's good to know I'm not thinking too far outside the box on this.
I figured I'd be getting the essence of the pumpkin without the stuck sparge, mess and bother of straight mashing it.

- B916

Hmm, I would think the boil would drive off a lot of the flavor...but you say you retain the spice and pumpkin flavor with this method?

If a common winemaker's trick is to add a piece of banana to a wine in secondary to add body but not flavor, could you do the same with pumpkin or pumpkin water in beer?

Back