Hand Grenade Protection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Izzoard

Reaction score
Hi all,

My first batch of sparkling I put all the bottles in a plastic container with lids, each one wrapped in a loop of towel to prevent mass explosions and the subsequent mess.

I've now 30+ L coming though, all to be made sparkling. Is there a better way to do this? I can't afford a big glass/cider mess in my house!

Cheers

Iz

I have a couple igloo containers that I do all carbing in. A bomb will make a mess, but contained in the igloo. One of My igloos holds a 5 gal batch all at once in 12oz bottles.

The first question is: Did the cider ferment out all the way?

What was your OG and FG? Did it reach the projected FG before bottling? This is usually 75% of the OG. If it did then you have a 99% chance that you will not get grenades.

Grenades most often happen when people bottle too soon.

Second, how much priming sugar did you add before bottling? Normal beer uses about 4 oz and a Hefe Weizen about 5 oz.

If your FG was only 25% of your OG and you did not overprime then you have nothing to worry about...IMO. ;)

The first question is: Did the cider ferment out all the way?

What was your OG and FG? Did it reach the projected FG before bottling? This is usually 75% of the OG. If it did then you have a 99% chance that you will not get grenades.

Grenades most often happen when people bottle too soon.

Second, how much priming sugar did you add before bottling? Normal beer uses about 4 oz and a Hefe Weizen about 5 oz.

If your FG was only 25% of your OG and you did not overprime then you have nothing to worry about...IMO. ;)

I'm making different batches (so differing sg each time) but I always let it ferm out to 1000.

Another way that's cheap and easy is if you're reusing regular brown beer bottles and the boxes they came with just stick them in a nice heavy duty trash bag. The box should contain most of the explosion and the liquid can be caught by the trash bag. The cheapest way I know of doing it.

I use those plastic rubbermaid tubs with lids. I cut a piece of cardboard to fit on top of a layer of 12oz bottles so I can add another layer if I need to. I've never had a bottle bomb, but everything I carb gets stored in the tubs just in case. Any liquid is contained & so are any glass shards. Regards, GF.

Back