Hallertau replacement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

left field brewer

Reaction score
I am looking for a hybrid hallertau replacement(to grow). Closest in aroma/ flavor?Ultra, Mt.Hood or others. Nobody answered in the hop growing forum, so I'll try here. Thanks.

I'd recommend either Mt. Hood or Crystal. I can't offer any help in growing them though.

Magnum: A newer variety derived from Hallertau with a robust aroma and a strong but clean bitterness.

The alpha rating is usually 12.0 - 14.0%.

Haven't used this yet myself but I'm thinking of growing some. Anyone care to comment on the flavor/aroma use of this hop?

A good solid replacement is liberty. If your a noob at hop growing....

Cascade & Nugget

Cascade -(Mainly flav & aroma) Good Bittering, Flav & Aroma - Vigorous Grower - not to disapoint...

Nugget - (Mainly Bittering) Awesome Bittering, vigorous grower, smells pretty damned good. Growth impressive

Recomended starters for http://www.freshops.com.

I'd use both for aroma. Fresh hops are a waste for bittering unless you have a sh!tload of them. My $.02

:mug:

Sterling is a pretty good grower with good yields. It is supposed to be a hallertauer x saaz cross.

Mt. Hood would be a good choice as well.

Denny's Evil Concoctions said:
Magnum: A newer variety derived from Hallertau with a robust aroma and a strong but clean bitterness.

The alpha rating is usually 12.0 - 14.0%.

Haven't used this yet myself but I'm thinking of growing some. Anyone care to comment on the flavor/aroma use of this hop?

I have seen the aroma properties described as "acceptable." I use it extensively for bittering but wouldn't bother with it for aroma or flavor.

http://www.yakimachief.com/hopvarieties/magnum.html

Origin/History
Magnum is a bittering/aroma type cultivar, bred in 1980 at Huell, the German Hop Research Instititute, from the American variety Galena and the German male 75/5/3.

I don't know if the German Male 75/5/3 is a derivative of Hallertau....

From Freshops:

MAGNUM: Spicy, citrusy, super-high alpha bittering hop from the Pacific Northwest.
alpha 12-17% aka yakima magnum.

USDA: Hallertauer Magnum, also called Magnum

Like I said I've never used it but various sources do list it as a dual use hop. Anyone here actually used this for late addittions?

Sterling sounds like a good hop though. A Haller Saaz cross would be a pretty good hop. And Mt hood is a derivitive of Haller.

I too am trying to decide what to plant. Some of these hops I've never used because I used to have a steady supply of cheap noble hops. :)

Denny's Evil Concoctions said:
From Freshops:

MAGNUM: Spicy, citrusy, super-high alpha bittering hop from the Pacific Northwest.
alpha 12-17% aka yakima magnum.

USDA: Hallertauer Magnum, also called Magnum

Like I said I've never used it but various sources do list it as a dual use hop. Anyone here actually used this for late addittions?

Sterling sounds like a good hop though. A Haller Saaz cross would be a pretty good hop. And Mt hood is a derivitive of Haller.

I too am trying to decide what to plant. Some of these hops I've never used because I used to have a steady supply of cheap noble hops. :)

from that same page:
SELECTION: no information, except that the male parent is 50% Hallertauer mf
PEDIGREE: Galena (USDA 21182) x German male hop Nr. 75/5/3

so that would imply that "German male hop Nr. 75/5/3" is Hallertauer

IMHO they don't have a bad aroma but they don't have particularly distinctive aroma or much character either so they don't really cut it as an aroma hop. They don't strike me as a great flavor hop addition either. Lots of commercial breweries use them as bittering additions but I can't think of any that use them outside of bittering.

I would imagine that someone has used them for late additions and can chime in.

Latest posts

Back