Hallertau Magnum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pedrovic

Reaction score
Hello,
A very curious question (at least for me): The Hallertau Magnum can be considered a noble hop just for being a Hallertau?

Thanks and cheers!

As an old friend used to say about herself...

You can take the girl out of the Bronx, but you can't take the Bronx out of the girl.

A firecracker, she was.

Or speaking of myself, I'm a New Yorker/Englander living in St Louis. That doesn't mean I'm a Midwesterner now.

So, in hop language it will be: "You can take the Magnum out of the Hallertau, but you can't take the Hallertau out of the Magnum"?

I hadn't heard of this before. I assume you've looked it up? From the BSG site, there's a good description. Kind of says all you need to know to decide if it's worth trying out (which is always the best way to know for sure).

Breeding/Development: Germany. Bred in 1980 at the Hop Research Center in Hüll for high alpha and yield performance and registered in 1993. Magnum is a daughter of Galena and the German male 75/5/3.

Brewing Application: Bittering. Hallertauer Magnum is known for contributing very smooth, clean bitterness along the lines of Nugget and Horizon. High alpha content gives excellent bittering power for any hoppy style; great for German Pilsner.

Sensory: Despite its predominant use as an early boil addition,Hallertauer Magnum has a fine, if understated, character, showing restrained and mild fresh flower and fruit aromatics when used late in the boil.

It was just an curiosity... I was reading about noble hops and I think: "If Magnum is a Hallertau, then I should consider him a noble hop too"?

Last edited:
It was just an curiosity... I was reading about noble hops and I think: "If Magnum is a Hallertau, then I should consider him a noble hop too"?

The Hallertau is just a region in Bavaria. You could grow any hop variety you want there.
"Noble" is a property of the hop variety, not the location where the plant is grown.

You could grow a noble hop in Peru and it'd still be noble, and you could grow Chinook in the Hallertau and it'd still be a disgusting abomination and, in particular, not a noble hop.

The Hallertau is just a region in Bavaria. You could grow any hop variety you want there.
"Noble" is a property of the hop variety, not the location where the plant is grown.

You could grow a noble hop in Peru and it'd still be noble, and you could grow Chinook in the Hallertau and it'd still be a disgusting abomination and, in particular, not a noble hop.
But the original name of Magnum is "Hallertau Magnum". I don't think the Chinook grown in Bavaria could be called "Hallertau Chinook".

It's not just the fact of being grown where the 'nobles' originate. It's the qualities and heritage they share. Noble varieties are low in AA%. Magnum is derived from an American variety and has double digit AA%.

Willamette (descended from UK Fuggle) grown in the Pacific NW is more nobel-like than Magnum (descended from US Galena) from Hallertau.

But the original name of Magnum is "Hallertau Magnum". I don't think the Chinook grown in Bavaria could be called "Hallertau Chinook".

They grow Cascade in the Hallertau and they sell it as "Hallertauer Cascade".

Some hop varieties have geographic references in their names, e.g. Hallertauer Mittelfrüh, Hersbrucker Spät, Spalter Select. A Hallertau-grown Spalter Select might be called, somewhat lengthily, "Hallertauer Spalter Select". I'm not aware that this was the case for Magnum as well, but even so, it doesn't change anything about the fact it is kind of the opposite of a noble hop, which is a term used for low-alpha hops with fine aromatic qualities.

Latest posts

Back