Halfwit label

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmulligan

Reaction score
So the beer that this label is for isn't really even a half Wit (no wheat at all), but it's got the spices, and I just REALLY wanted to make this label.

halfwitlabel.JPG

Not a big fan of the present administration, but referring to your President as a half-wit is uncalled for.

Not a big fan of the present administration, but referring to your President a half-wit is uncalled for.

The above attitude is why I like constitutional monarchy. People naturally think of heads-of-state as sacrosanct, as they are the figurehead representing the nation. Political figures, on the other hand, should be constantly open to any form of criticism or satire (and this label falls well within the bounds of acceptable and healthy satire). For a head of state to be a political figure suddenly makes satiring and mocking him or her less acceptable.

(Ideally, the head of state, being an entirely symbolic and apolitical figurehead, should be chosen by a truly romantic and arbitrary criterion, like bloodlines. Political figures should be elected and open to any barbs the populace feels like throwing their way.)

(I like to dodge this dilemma by mocking the personal and political side of your President, which is admittedly hilarious/terrifying, while separating it from the respect I hold for the office, nation for which it stands, blah blah)

I didn't know we had a king. I thought we were an autonomous collective.

I told you! We're an anarcho-syndicalist commune. We take it in turns to act as a sort of executive officer for the week,.....but all the decisions of that officer have to be ratified at a special bi-weekly meeting... by a simple majority in the case of purely internal affairs,... but by a two-thirds majority in the case of more major--

sorry couldn't help myself :)

For a head of state to be a political figure suddenly makes satiring and mocking him or her less acceptable.
Being able to mock our President without fear is one of the things that makes this country great. I just have no respect for someone who would do it.

I like to dodge this dilemma by mocking the personal and political side of your President, which is admittedly hilarious/terrifying, while separating it from the respect I hold for the office, nation for which it stands, blah blah
There is a fine line between humor and blatant disrespect.

Edit:
In hindsight, I should keep my opinions on politics and religion to myself. Sorry!

I think that what AnOldUR is trying to say is that you're giving Bush too much credit!
What I should have said is, nice lable. Only one problem. May be it's because I have trouble seeing reds and greens, but the text on the sides is hard for me to read.

Ok, I certainly had not intended this to become a political issue. The label is supposed to be fun and a play on words. I happen to not like the current Administration (and am aware that it is not the doing of a single individual), but regardless of his political maneuvers, I would mock him for his lack of speaking skills alone, not to mention the faces the man makes.

Just trying to amuse myself and like-minded friends by making a joke (and I agree with others - just because someone managed to become President does not mean I automatically owe him any respect, especially when it's not been earned).

You should have a smaller neck label that states "mission accomplished"

albeit a figurehead, the president(and vice, entire administration, etc) is much worse than a dimwit.

I didn't know we had a king. I thought we were an autonomous collective.

I told you! We're an anarcho-syndicalist commune. We take it in turns to act as a sort of executive officer for the week,.....but all the decisions of that officer have to be ratified at a special bi-weekly meeting... by a simple majority in the case of purely internal affairs,... but by a two-thirds majority in the case of more major--

sorry couldn't help myself :)

LOL, that is what I was thinking too :)

I like the label, I think it is funny

I told you! We're an anarcho-syndicalist commune....

So I take it you read Noam Chomsky? Sweet, the man is a genius to say the least...

anyway..as far as the label, I like it! I agree with the mission accomplished neck label...that would be the icing on the cake.

What program are you using? I would say for the text on the sides (if not all of the text) try adding a mild drop shadow. You'd be surprised at how much it cleans things up and makes things pop a little more.

nice job :mug:

here...have a dancing banana :ban:

So I take it you read Noam Chomsky? Sweet, the man is a genius to say the least...

anyway..as far as the label, I like it! I agree with the mission accomplished neck label...that would be the icing on the cake.

What program are you using? I would say for the text on the sides (if not all of the text) try adding a mild drop shadow. You'd be surprised at how much it cleans things up and makes things pop a little more.

nice job :mug:

here...have a dancing banana :ban:

Chomsky is cool...Kropotkin is better...

no war but class war:rockin:

You should have a smaller neck label that states "mission accomplished"

Excellent suggestion! I'll take it! :ban:

Beer Baron - I am using suck a$$ Paint. HWMO is proficient in Photoshop, so I will have him re-do it so it does not get all pixely and distorted.

Thanks for the feedback and lively comments. :mug:

No need to try and do fancy stuff in paint (except for bragging rights).

GIMP is free (as in liberated AND zero-cost) and competitive with Photoshop (although less shiny and slightly steeper learning curve).

paint.NET is free (as in zero-cost) and apparently easy. I can't vouch for it personally, because I use a Mac (woot) and an Ubuntu machine (woot).

No need to try and do fancy stuff in paint (except for bragging rights).

GIMP is free (as in liberated AND zero-cost) and competitive with Photoshop (although less shiny and slightly steeper learning curve).
\

Yeah, I downloaded GIMP and was completely LOST. I admit that I didn't try too long at it, but there is definitely a learning curve there. I think I am going to try to learn Photoshop soon, so that should remedy some problems.

baron and pervsatile : I was actually qouting the brilliant sociopolitical writings of Terry Jones and Terry Gilliam. Its an excerpt from the 1975 manuscript of Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Tmoney is smelling what I'm steppin in :)

Edit:
In hindsight, I should keep my opinions on politics and religion to myself. Sorry!

This is one place in my life where I refuse to talk politics.
I come her to talk brewing, beer, and creativity. MY politics have no place at HBT.com.
I hate to say that I have a feeling that some of my favorite people on this forum would likely be my arch rival and nemesis on a political board.

Nice Label...I too find the text to be a bit hard to read, but you said it's getting re-worked? I'd like to see that.

Just an updated version for consideration. It was not done in Photoshop, mostly because I really prefer to do my labels myself and not have HWMO do them (much to his disgust). This was done mostly with PowerPoint, but may show some pixelation for image conversion/posting purposes.

Thanks for previous feedback, much appreciated.

halfwitlabel1.bmp.jpg

I can agree that it should be changed to Dim Wit over Half Wit...it implies he had wit in the first place...but then again, if there's no wheat in it it should really be called Witless...

My only complaint would be that I don't like you making fun of left handers... :mad: ;):D

...but then again, if there's no wheat in it it should really be called Witless...

My only complaint would be that I don't like you making fun of left handers...

Hmmm... Witless Protection Ale? Also sounds like a viable Bush label. :D

Who's making fun of lefties? We're smarter and going to live like 1.4 years longer than those sucker righties! ;)

Put Barack Hussein Obama's pic in there and you have a hit! The Half Wit goes with the empty suit. :D

Hehe thats awesome! I like it :D

Honestly, I'm going to be sad when Bushy is out of office........there won't be any 'great moments in presidential speeches' on Letterman any more :(

Hehe thats awesome! I like it :D

Honestly, I'm going to be sad when Bushy is out of office........there won't be any 'great moments in presidential speeches' on Letterman any more :frown:

yeah, but wait till the press gets President B. Hussein Obama away from a teleprompter. Umm....Uhh....I....Ummm.....Uhhhh....Change...Umm..Hope....Uhhhh. :cross:

I just wanted to see this in print again :drunk:

I just wanted to see it in print again, but for very different reasons. Please enumerate your reasons for disliking the idea of Obama (I never met the the man).

Please enumerate your reasons for disliking the idea of Obama (I never met the the man).

It is often said that if you don't know a man, you can fairly judge his character by the company he keeps.
That leads me to believe that his association with the Reverend...is reason enough to dislike Mr. Obama. He is a racist...and not only is he racist, but he is damn quick to play the race card. He is one of THE Most liberal senators in the country, and I don't like much of anything he has stood for since he's been in public office. I don't need to meet someone to judge their character. I need only observe their behavior for a time.

Again. We need to stop this, as I love all of you, I sometimes drink while I'm at this forum....and I get fighting mad over Politics...especially when/....um....:drunk:

Nice Label....I hope that you are happy with it....Now can we get back to debating the merits of the batch sparge?

That leads me to believe that his association with the Reverend...is reason enough to dislike Mr. Obama. He is a racist...
And after years of faithful following, it amazing how quickly the Reverend was discarded in favor of political gain. (Damn . . . . just blew the no politics or religion pact.)

The label is coming along nice. Much easier to read. But in sticking with the theme and beer style, I’d agree with homebrewer 99, that it should be “Witless.”

The label is coming along nice. Much easier to read. But in sticking with the theme and beer style, I’d agree with homebrewer 99, that it should be “Witless.”
[/SIZE]

Agreed. I think I will switch it to say Witless Summer Ale (or something along those lines).

Thanks for the feedback.

I love the Witless Summer Ale title!!! It's perfect cause he is witless and so is your beer (Just to clarify, I am not insulting the beer, merely observing that there is no wheat)!!
Don't go with witless protection though. There is a movie with Larry the Cable Guy starring in it with that same title. He's funny enough but could be confused with the name of the beer. Witless is perfect!

:tank:

Back