Half full bottle...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John2

Reaction score
I bottled my first successful batch of home brew about a week ago but had one bottle that only ended up half full. Seeing as I could afford the bottle cap that it would take to cap it I figured why not, maybe it will properly prime. But the longer I wait the more curious I get so I have to know...will there be enough carbonation in the bottle or will it be flat?

Short pours are for "quality control."

I usually have a bottle that's 3/4 full. Chuck it in the freezer for a bit and then drink it.

My last batch, however, I got 36 750ml Belgian beer bottles filled perfectly and no short pour. :(

Yep I drink it. You can also add a hint of soda water to it to get the feel for it carbonated. When I bottled last time I held a pint glass under the bottling wand for run off and there was my "quality control" pint.

Thanks for the help, I took your guys' advice and picked this particular bottle to "test" at one week of priming (test is my way of justifying to my wife why I'm drinking beer at 10 in the morning).

It carbonated perfectly but has a very SLIGHT yeasty aftertaste. I was extremely careful not to disturb the bottle before opening it and leave that last 1/4" in the bottom. But, I also know that priming for two weeks is recommended for better flavor. Is the yeasty aftertaste something that another week of priming should solve? Also, to rule out measurement errors for you, this was brewed from a premeasured kit. The first home brew I made was just awful so I decided to brew from kits until I am slightly more capable.

That will likely abate a bit. Also, if it was the last bottle filled, it would have probably had a more yeast than the rest. Even if you stirred in to mix the priming sugar, the yeast would have settled down a little in the priming bucket.

Sounds like a successful bottle, my friend!

ACTUALLY.....

Last batch was my homegrown hop ale, and at bottling, there was nothing around but swmbo's BMC.

So.....I added half of a pint of the uncarbed homebrew to 1/2 pint of the BMC fizzy over carbed crap, and behold! Decent beer.

Back