Half-Fermented Wort, next choices.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I believe this is my first thread on this forum, I've been a longtime lurker and admirer. It's a great place here. I hope this thread is in the right section.

So, I made the grave mistake of trying to make a 5 gallon Old Rasputin clone without doing a starter and it finished under fermented. I don't remember the readings but I think it was maybe 3-4% less ABV than intended. Pretty malty and maybe a little diacetyl, maybe.

The thing is, it's now kegged and carbed, but it's been sitting for about a month or more. So, I've heard of people letting the C02 out and then pitching a new yeast batch to finish the job. Would that be viable? I know if it worked, the beer would probably not taste perfect- but still, it might at least be a good experiment.

The other thing I thought of doing was taking it and maybe the dregs of a couple other beers and just making something funky and new.

I hate throwing out beer.

And one last thing, I've heard botulism can develop in unfermented wort. But in this case I should be fine since it fermented somewhat?

Any thoughts or ideas?

Warm it to 65'ish with the pressure relief valve open, toss in some US-05 in the and shake. After the foam settles down use a gas in QD to make a "blow off" and leave it for a couple of weeks then check the gravity to see if it is closer to your goal.

Hi everyone, I believe this is my first thread on this forum, I've been a longtime lurker and admirer. It's a great place here. I hope this thread is in the right section.

So, I made the grave mistake of trying to make a 5 gallon Old Rasputin clone without doing a starter and it finished under fermented. I don't remember the readings but I think it was maybe 3-4% less ABV than intended. Pretty malty and maybe a little diacetyl, maybe.

The thing is, it's now kegged and carbed, but it's been sitting for about a month or more. So, I've heard of people letting the C02 out and then pitching a new yeast batch to finish the job. Would that be viable? I know if it worked, the beer would probably not taste perfect- but still, it might at least be a good experiment.

The other thing I thought of doing was taking it and maybe the dregs of a couple other beers and just making something funky and new.

I hate throwing out beer.

And one last thing, I've heard botulism can develop in unfermented wort. But in this case I should be fine since it fermented somewhat?

Any thoughts or ideas?

if it were my beer i would just finish drinking it, if i liked it enough, rather than waste time tinkering with it and maybe making it worse than it is. the botulism thing i've never heard of but botulism requires warm temps to live so i'd say the cold beer is fine.

Warm it to 65'ish with the pressure relief valve open, toss in some US-05 in the and shake. After the foam settles down use a gas in QD to make a "blow off" and leave it for a couple of weeks then check the gravity to see if it is closer to your goal.

Wow, this seems pretty simple, clear and on-point. I think I'll try this. Thank you.

Back