Hair of the Dog - Adam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mummasan

Reaction score
I want to try to make this beer and I found a recipe that is supposed to be from the brewer - it calls for Wyeast #1968 and Wyeast #1728. It says to make a 600ml starter with 1728 but not with 1968. The estimated pre-boil gravity is 1094 and, after a 3 hour boil, the OG is estimated 1134.

I've never pitched two different kinds of yeast on the same wort. Have any of you ever done this? Also, I have easy access to White Labs yeast but not Wyeast - WL has a scottish ale yeast that I will sub in the recipe but I'm not sure about 1728 because there are several WL English ale yeasts. What would be a good WL match for Wyeast's 1728?

Right - that's the website I was looking at. Towards the bottom though, there is a link that says 'Adam Bier Brew Sheet' - I clicked on that and found some other info like the two stains of yeast and the estimated OG. I wonder why there is a difference.

Thanks for the link to Mr. Malty - I never knew about that handy comparison chart.

It may just be that they were more efficient than Alan. I thought I read that he doesn't expect to get more than 50% eff on his big beers.

You can check out Oldstock's blog as I know that he actually brewed this beer.
http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2009/05/adambier-hotd-adam-clone.html

This beer is still on my must do list. I really should brew it soon so that it is ready for winter time.

Based on the data sheet, the estimated ABV should come out to ~12.6% (OG 1.134 FG 1.038).

That's almost 3% greater than what Adam really is. I'm wondering where the discrepancy lies.

Edit: it's funny that you already posted about this and I didn't see it. However, read my notes below on why this is.

Nevermind, I just realized (Thanks to OldSock - TheMadFermentationist.com) that you are supposed to boil past your intended OG and re-fill with sanitized (boiled/cooled) water to reach the 1.099 OG.

However, the brew sheet doesn't suggest this. The brew sheet says that the actual OG was 1.134 when the yeast is pitched.

Oh well.

I have a bottle of Adam in the fridge and am thinking about brewing something in the same vain soon. Does anyone know what yeast strain is in the bottle?

Latest posts

Back