Hair in starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hope it came from a good looking blond girl that smelled nice and not some stinking matted dreadlock

was it a pube?

Exactly! The origin of the hair, as well as the sex of the donor, can cause different tastes in beer due to the introduction of various wild yeast strains. Examine it carefully, and proceed. :fro:

Also, if it is found to be from a female, forum etiquette suggests that you post pics (of the female, not the hair).

Normally any stray hairs get caught in the husks while sparging. I've spotted a couple cat hairs in my water before but it never makes it through (how they get there is anyone's guess, cat hair is the most ridiculous thing).

Normally any stray hairs get caught in the husks while sparging. I've spotted a couple cat hairs in my water before but it never makes it through (how they get there is anyone's guess, cat hair is the most ridiculous thing).

Cat hairs - :eek: - I can totally relate to that one. I had a long haired cat (that died a few months ago :( ) and its hair got in everything. When I was bottling wine (pre beer days), it was very apparent that cat hair was in the sanitizing bucket, in the transferred wine in the bottling bucket, on the corks, in and on the bottles - EVERYWHERE! I always worried about things growing from the hair, but I have never had a bad batch or bottle, even being aged two years, from the hair.

Cat hair - strange stuff!

Whoa, Thankfully it doesn't look like a pube. Unless I see or smell something else, I'm going to use the yeast.

So I plan on brewing a porter with this yeast. Any name ideas?

-jastout

Back