Had to substitute peat for beechwood smoked

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oceanic_brew

Reaction score
Hey everyone! just brewed up a batch of beer that I was planning on entering into the local Brewnosers competition in Halifax, NS in June.

Unfortunately when at my LHBS they were all out of peat malt (or so I thought) which is usually in my recipe so I used something I'm unfamiliar with instead.

Here's my recipe:

8.5 # Marris Otter
4. # Smoked Malt
1 #. Honey Malt
1 # Melanoidin
.5# flaked wheat
.5# flaked barley

1.5 OZ EKG at 60
1 OZ Williamette at 10
1 oz Hallertau whirlpool

Mash 152

Wyeast 1968

So here's my predicament. I made this beer before and after two months of aging with 3/4 oz of peat smoked malt it was absolutely delicious and had just the right amount of smokiness for me, however after doing some quick researching at my LHBS I was unable to come up with an appropriate substitute and after tasting the beechwood I decided 4 lbs would be a safe amount.

Now after doing more research I realize that it's actually on the low end.

Is there anything I could do like steeping some peat smoked malt or steeping more beechsmoked and adding pre-fermentation to up the smokiness?

Although judges scores aren't exactly what keeps me up at night I know for sure that entering into a smoked category is pointless (beyond the pleasures of unbiased feedback) if it isn't hitting the mark of commercial examples at least in regard to smoke.

Thanks!

Oh... I should mention that this is a 7 gallon targeted batch and I boil down about a gallon of the first runnings to a sticky slop and add it to the boil:

You're not kidding? It's going to be plenty smoky with 4 lbs in there. Peat smoked malt is terrible stuff. It will taste better with the beechwood smoked anyway. You did fine.

Ok great! No I'm not kidding hahha many of the recipes I've found online called for near 50% which I'm sure would make a very smoky beer however my recipe is at 25%

The wort smells plenty smoky this morning.

I make a delicious smoke beer with 5.5 lbs smoke malt. It's a variation on one of passedpawn's recipies.
I say go for it!

Back